Computers are the devices that make our work easy. Different types of computers are designed according to our needs. Earlier the computers were very large and bulky. The inconvenience to carry them raised the need to enhance them. It leads to the development of different sizes of computers with different specifications. One of them is Minicomputer. As the name suggests, the minicomputers are mini or small in size. However, it has good efficiency.
Ten Lines on Minicomputer in English
Here, I’m providing ten lines on Minicomputers in the form of sets. This is an important topic for students of classes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. You can go through these lines to understand the various aspects of this topic.
1) The type of computer with large computation power and smaller size are known as mini computers.
2) They are more powerful than microcomputers.
3) Minicomputers are designed to bear a high workload.
4) They are multiprocessing systems that can have more than one processor.
5) Minicomputers can have a speed between 10-30 MIPS (Million Instruction per Second).
6) It is less expensive than supercomputers.
7) Minicomputers offer multiprocessing and multitasking.
8) It is used to perform fast computing in business areas like calculation, storing records, etc.
9) ‘Digital Equipment Corporation’ announced 12-bit PDP-8, was the first minicomputer.
10) Minicomputers are also referred to as mid-range computers due to their efficiency between mainframe and microcomputers.
1) It is an intermediate between microcomputers and mainframe computers.
2) Minicomputers or mini is a small and portable computer.
3) It is used for computation tasks, business processes, etc.
4) Multiple users can work simultaneously in minicomputers.
5) Honeywell 200, TI-990, IBM’s AS/400e, etc. are some examples of minicomputers.
6) Minicomputers are mainly used in business services.
7) However, they neither have CD/ DVD drive nor USB port.
8) Minicomputers are computers with performance like those large computers but small in physical size.
9) Minicomputers gained popularity during the 1960s.
10) FORTRAN IV, ALGOL (Algorithmic Language), etc. are some compilers of minicomputers.
The rise of minicomputers influenced the market to a great extent. By the 1980s, more than 100 companies were involved in the making and selling of minicomputers. Minicomputers do have some advantages and disadvantages. Although, it is a good choice for small businesses as it is cheaper than those high processing computers and provide good efficiency. However, it could not be a good choice for day-to-day activities.
I hope the above 10 points on Minicomputer will be helpful to understand this topic.
Read also :
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Minicomputer
Ans. The average size of minicomputers varies from 7-12 inch width or less than 7inch.
Ans. Microcomputers are considered the least powerful computers.