Earlier most of the works were done by humans. With the emergence of technology, computers are used to perform most of the tasks. Most of the work is done with the help of computers. From small to complex, every task involves the use of computers in some or other ways. Although, a powerful computer is needed to carry out some typical tasks for which a mainframe computer will be a good option. It is considered the second powerful computer after the supercomputers. It also offers various advantages over micro and minicomputers. Let’s have a look at this category of computer in detail.
Ten Lines on Mainframe Computers in English
Here, I’m providing ten lines on Mainframe computers in the form of sets. This is an important topic for students of classes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. However, other viewers can also seek knowledge about this topic from the given points.
1) The computers which are used by a large organization to perform some critical tasks are termed mainframe computers.
2) The speed of mainframe computers is measured in MIPS (millions of instructions per second).
3) Mainframe computers have high memory and processing power.
4) It also provides high performance, security, and resiliency.
5) Mainframes are bulky and large-sized computer systems.
6) Some vendors of mainframe computers are Hitachi, Unisys, IBM, etc.
7) The Harvard Mark I is considered the first mainframe computer, developed in 1944.
8) Mainframes are expensive than micro and mini but cheaper than supercomputers.
9) It is widely used in the health sector, retail sector, defense sector, banking, etc.
10) CDC 6600, IBM ES000 series, etc. are some examples of mainframe computers.
1) Mainframes have the power to handle multiple inputs at the same time.
2) It is used to process bulk data like large transactional records, tax records, insurance records, etc.
3) It has more than one processor and can run more than one OS simultaneously.
4) It is designed to perform specific tasks therefore not useful for performing normal tasks.
5) It supports all types of software and hardware.
6) The installation of a mainframe computer is difficult.
7) Mainframe computers can be used by multiple users.
8) The evolution of mainframe computers flawed the market in the 1950s.
9) Mainframe computers are operated by highly skilled people.
10) Traditional mainframes had large sizes up to 2000 to 10,000 square feet however, now are much smaller, about 10 feet.
The word Mainframe depicts a large cabinet known as a frame containing the main memory and processing unit. During these times, mainframe computers have evolved in terms of size and speed. Initially, mainframes were very heavy and large because of which they are known as ‘Big Iron’. But now they are designed much smaller like that of a refrigerator. However, they are still larger than some categories of computers.
I hope the above given 10 points on Mainframe computers would be helpful for you to enhance your knowledge regarding this type of computer.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Mainframe Computers
Ans. IBM z15 released in September 2019 is the latest mainframe computer.
Ans. The first computer developed in India was TIFRAC (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Automatic Calculator).