Saint Lawrence is a big river in Eastern North America and flows between the Canadian province of Ontario and the American state of New York and follows through the Canadian province of Quebec. It flows through north-eastern direction which connects the great lakes and with the Atlantic Ocean.
Saint Lawrence River is of vital geographic, hydrologic and economic importance to the United States and Canada and also a commercial sea way.
The Canadian cities of Kingston, Montreal, Trois-Rivieres and Quebec City are located on the banks of Saint Lawrence River.
The river is easily navigable through ships throughout the year for a length of around 852 miles between Pirapora and Patrolina cities.
Ten Lines on Saint Lawrence River in English
We have provided ten lines on Saint Lawrence River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Saint Lawrence River, in which countries St. Lawrence River flows, what is the origination of St. Lawrence River, what is the length and catchment area of St. Lawrence River, which estuary St. Lawrence River meets, which are the tributaries of St. Lawrence River, which cities are based on St. Lawrence River etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on St. Lawrence River as well as related topics like St. Lawrence River depth, St. Lawrence River course, St. Lawrence River start and end, St. Lawrence River facts or few lines on St. Lawrence River etc.
10 Lines on Saint Lawrence River – Set 1
1) Saint Lawrence River is a big river located in eastern part of North America.
2) It is a trans-boundary river which flows into United States and Canada.
3) Saint Lawrence River flows through Canadian province of Ontario to New York.
4) The river originates from the North River in the state of Minnesota.
5) Saint Lawrence River falls in the Atlantic Ocean via Cabot Strait located in Canada.
6) The length of Saint Lawrence River is 3058 km and catchment area is 1.6 million km2.
7) Saint Lawrence meets Atlantic Ocean in a big estuary called as the “Gulf of Lawrence”.
8) The natural vegetation which lies in Saint Lawrence River basin is coniferous forests.
9) The tributaries of Saint Lawrence River are Saguenay, Ottawa, Saint François Rivers etc.
10) The cities situated near Saint Lawrence River are Kingston, Montreal, New York etc.
We have provided another set of ten points on St. Lawrence River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will find that where St. Lawrence River is located, who first navigated to St. Lawrence River, what is the drainage system of St. Lawrence River, which kind of aquatic life is found in St. Lawrence River basin, what is St. Lawrence Seaway Project etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on St. Lawrence River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Saint Lawrence River – Set 2
1) The Saint Lawrence River is the large river which is placed in the middle latitudes of North America and flows into the north-eastern direction.
2) In French, Saint Lawrence is called as “Fleuve Saint-Laurent” which means “Big Waterway”.
3) The first European to navigate Saint Lawrence River was Jacques Cartier who sailed through the straits of ‘Belle Isle’ in 1534 and landed on the shores of the bay.
4) Saint Lawrence River moves back to the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario and is a part of international boundary between United States and Canada.
5) It occupies three geological regions of North America viz, Canadian Shield, Appalachian Mountains and Sedimentary Rock Platform.
6) St. Lawrence River system can be divided into three sections viz, Great Lakes Region, Lake Ontario to Kingston, from lle de Orleans to the Cabot strait.
7) Drainage area of Saint Lawrence includes the great lakes and it becomes the world’s largest water system with the size of 1.03 million square km.
8) The animal life on St. Lawrence River basin consists of fish (sturgeon, smelt, herring), mammals (beluga white whale in gulf), and Molluscs (soft shell clam).
9) The Saint Lawrence Seaway, a massive project undertaken jointly by Canada and the United States was completed in 1959 for economic betterment.
10) It reduced the navigational hazards and permitted large vessel to smoothly travel between Great Lakes and Atlantic Ocean.
The St. Lawrence River seaway has a great economic impact on the United States and Canada. In Quebec and Labrador vast deposits of iron ore was discovered which was needed to the steel mills in United States. The largest commodity moved is the food grain from Canada to the United States. Bulk and heavy commodities make up to 90 percent of the annual cargo tonnage but vessels of many countries halt there for international business.