Sao Francisco River is the river in Brazil. It is the longest river which runs in the entire Brazilian territory. Sao Francisco River is the fourth longest river in South America and overall in Brazil after Amazon, Parana and Madeira rivers.
The river was first seen by the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci on 4th October 1501.
He named the river after Saint Francis of Assisi as 4th October was celebrated as the feast day of the saint. The river was also explored by a British explorer Richard Burton in 1865 from its origin to its falls
The river is very much important in Brazil and is called as “The River of National Integration” which unites the northeast with the southeast region having different climates.
Ten Lines on Sao Francisco River in English
We have provided ten lines on Sao Francisco River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Sao Francisco River, what is the position of Sao Francisco River in South America, by which name Sao Francisco River was called, from where Sao Francisco River originates, what is the length and catchment area of Sao Francisco River, which are the tributaries of Sao Francisco River, which cities are on Sao Francisco River etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on Sao Francisco River as well as related topics like Sao Francisco River facts, Sao Francisco River Brazil, Sao Francisco length and area or few lines on Sao Francisco River.
10 Lines on Sao Francisco River – Set 1
1) Sao Francisco River is a river in Brazil and a major river of eastern South America.
2) It is the fourth longest river in South America and in Brazil.
3) Sao Francisco is the longest river which runs in the entire Brazilian territory.
4) The river was known as ‘Opara’ by the locals before colonization.
5) Sao Francisco River originates in the Canastra Mountain Range in Minas Gerais.
6) It flows more than 1000 miles in the states of Minas Gerais and Bahia.
7) Sao Francisco forms a border between Alagoas and Sergipe and enters Atlantic Ocean.
8) The length of Sao Francisco River is 2914 km and catchment area is 630,000 square km.
9) Sao Francisco River is navigable between the cities of Pirapora, Juazerio and Piranhas etc.
10) The tributaries of Sao Francisco River are Paraopeba, Abaete, Das Yelhas, Jequitai etc.
We have provided another set of ten points on Sao Francisco River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will know as what is the ancient and present name of Sao Francisco River, by which phrase Sao Francisco River is called as, what is the drainage area of Sao Francisco River, how many fish species are there in Sao Francisco River basin, which dams are built on Sao Francisco River etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Sao Francisco River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Sao Francisco River – Set 2
1) Sao Francisco River is a major river of eastern South America and it is the fourth longest river water system in the Latin American continent.
2) Sao Francisco River used to be known as “Opara” by the local indigenous people and in today’s time Sao Francisco River is known as “Velho Chico” i.e. “Old Frank”.
3) Sao Francisco River is very important river in Brazil as it is called as “The River of National Integration” because it unites different regions of the country.
4) It was named after Saint Francis of Assisi after its discovery by the Italian explorer “Amerigo Vespucci” who saw it on 4th October 1501.
5) Sao Francisco River rises in the Canastra Mountain Range located in the central-western parts of the state of Minas Gerais and draining the area of 630,000 square km.
6) It runs generally north in Minas Gerais and Bahia and before turning east it forms border between Bahia on right and Pernambuco and Alagoas on left.
7) After flowing from there, the river forms the boundary between the states of Alagoas and Sergipe and gets drained into the Atlantic Ocean.
8) More than 200 fish species are known to be living in Sao Francisco River basin which is about 13 percent of fish species which are important in fisheries.
9) The cities which are located on the banks of Sao Francisco River are Pirapora, Sao Francisco, Bom Jesus da Lapa, the twin cities of Petrolina and Juazerio etc.
10) Paulo Afonso Dam was built on Sao Francisco River in 1955 between Bahia and Alagoas and other dams are Tres Marias, Sobradinho, Luiz Gonzaga (Itaparica) etc.
Sao Francisco River has the great importance in the culture and history of the people of Brazil. The history is celebrated in songs, stories legends etc which are based on the Carrancas. The stories of river demons and monsters are still prevalent today. The river’s hydroelectric capacity was identified in 1955 when the Paulo Afonso Dam was built between Bahia and Alagoas which is providing electricity to whole North-Eastern Brazil.