Sao Francisco River is the river in Brazil. It is the longest river which runs in the entire Brazilian territory. Sao Francisco River is the fourth longest river in South America and overall in Brazil after Amazon, Parana and Madeira rivers. The river was first seen by the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci on 4th October 1501.
He named the river after Saint Francis of Assisi as 4th October was celebrated as the feast day of the saint. The river was also explored by a British explorer Richard Burton in 1865 from its origin to its falls. The river is very much important in Brazil and is called as “The River of National Integration” which unites the northeast with the southeast region having different climates.
Ten Lines on Sao Francisco River in English
We are providing here 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Sao Francisco River in English Language for students of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Students can get help in their studies from these sets of lines and complete their home work, assignments, project work and can get knowledge within less time also. So, let's start:
10 Lines on Sao Francisco River
1) Sao Francisco River is a river in Brazil and a major river of eastern South America.
2) It is the fourth longest river in South America and in Brazil.
3) Sao Francisco is the longest river which runs in the entire Brazilian territory.
4) The river was known as ‘Opara’ by the locals before colonization.
5) Sao Francisco River originates in the Canastra Mountain Range in Minas Gerais.
6) It flows more than 1000 miles in the states of Minas Gerais and Bahia.
7) Sao Francisco forms a border between Alagoas and Sergipe and enters Atlantic Ocean.
8) The length of Sao Francisco River is 2914 km and catchment area is 630,000 square km.
9) Sao Francisco River is navigable between the cities of Pirapora, Juazerio and Piranhas etc.
10) The tributaries of Sao Francisco River are Paraopeba, Abaete, Das Yelhas, Jequitai etc.
10 Lines and Sentences on Sao Francisco River
1) Sao Francisco River is a major river of eastern South America and it is the fourth longest river water system in the Latin American continent.
2) Sao Francisco River used to be known as “Opara” by the local indigenous people and in today’s time Sao Francisco River is known as “Velho Chico” i.e. “Old Frank”.
3) Sao Francisco River is very important river in Brazil as it is called as “The River of National Integration” because it unites different regions of the country.
4) It was named after Saint Francis of Assisi after its discovery by the Italian explorer “Amerigo Vespucci” who saw it on 4th October 1501.
5) Sao Francisco River rises in the Canastra Mountain Range located in the central-western parts of the state of Minas Gerais and draining the area of 630,000 square km.
6) It runs generally north in Minas Gerais and Bahia and before turning east it forms border between Bahia on right and Pernambuco and Alagoas on left.
7) After flowing from there, the river forms the boundary between the states of Alagoas and Sergipe and gets drained into the Atlantic Ocean.
8) More than 200 fish species are known to be living in Sao Francisco River basin which is about 13 percent of fish species which are important in fisheries.
9) The cities which are located on the banks of Sao Francisco River are Pirapora, Sao Francisco, Bom Jesus da Lapa, the twin cities of Petrolina and Juazerio etc.
10) Paulo Afonso Dam was built on Sao Francisco River in 1955 between Bahia and Alagoas and other dams are Tres Marias, Sobradinho, Luiz Gonzaga (Itaparica) etc.
5 Lines on Sao Francisco River
1) This river is located in Brazil.
2) Its length is about 2,914 km.
3) Before colonization, it was called ‘Opara’.
4) It is the longest river covering Brazil.
5) At last, it merges to the Atlantic Ocean.
20 Lines on Sao Francisco River
1) Sao Francisco River emerges in the eastern region of South America.
2) It is regarded as the longest river in Brazil.
3) The river traces its course entirely in Brazil.
4) Canastra Mountains in the Minas Geras state of Brazil is the originating place of the Sao Francisco River.
5) San Francisco is 2830 km in length.
6) The area of the drainage basin of river San Francisco is 641000 square km.
7) The hot and dry climatic conditions prevail in the Sao Francisco river basin.
8) Paracatu, Urucuia, Grande are major left bank tributaries of river Sao Francisco.
9) Verde Grande, Paramirium, Jacare are the major right bank tributaries of the river Sao Francisco.
10) Sao Francisco River finally drains into the Atlantic Ocean.
11) Sao Francisco is the principal river of Brazil.
12) It is ranked as the fourth-longest river in South America.
13) Opera was the name given to the river in ancient times.
14) Sao Francisco is also called 'Velho Chico'.
15) The river got its name Sao Francisco on the name of Saint Francis of Assisi.
16) It connects southeast with Northeast Brazil thus referred to as the river of integration'.
17) Sao Francisco River is a source of water in semi-arid regions of Brazil.
18) The river basin is rich in fish diversity with more than 200 species of fish.
19) It is also a reservoir of valuable minerals like agate, gold, iron, diamonds, etc.
20) Paulo Afonso dam was the first dam to be constructed in 1955 on the river Sao Francisco.
Sao Francisco River has the great importance in the culture and history of the people of Brazil. The history is celebrated in songs, stories legends etc which are based on the Carrancas. The stories of river demons and monsters are still prevalent today. The river’s hydroelectric capacity was identified in 1955 when the Paulo Afonso Dam was built between Bahia and Alagoas which is providing electricity to whole North-Eastern Brazil.