Sports play a vital role in our life. Many Indian Sports have their unending relation with our history like Archery, Shooting, Polo, Chess, Badminton and many more. You will be surprised to know that widely respected and played Chess Game has originated in India. A number of famous personalities have created history with their exceptional talent in these games. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is a tribute to their unusual talent in the respective sport. It is an Award for encouraging them to keep performing their best and making India feel proud.
Ten Lines on Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in English
1) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna-RGKR Award is now renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award
2) ‘Khel Ratna’ word interprets the meaning ‘Gems of Sport’.
3) PM Modi tweeted on 6th of Aug 2021 to rename RGKR in the name of Major Dhyan Chand.
4) Major Dhyan Chand was a famous hockey player, also known as the Wizard of Hockey.
5) Major Dhyan Chand born on 29th Aug 1905, won 3 gold medals for India in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
6) There is another award named Dhyan Chand Award also.
7) Deepa Malik (2019) is the first lady to win the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the Paralympics.
8) Till 2020, there are total 43 RGKR distributed among the players of different fields.
9) Cash Prize of INR 25 Lakhs is now given to the winner of this award.
10) People demanded the government to change the name of RGKR to commemorate Major Dhyan Chand.
1) This award is given to the players having best performance in their field for continuous 4 years.
2) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna now Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award is the highest ranked award in the field of Sports.
3) In 2020, 5 sports personalities got the RGKR Award.
4) Rohit Sharma (Cricket), Mariyappan Thangavelu (High Jump), Manika Batra (TT), Vinesh Phogat (Wrestling) and Rani Rampal (Hockey) got this award in 2020.
5) In 1997-98, God of Cricket S. Tendulkar got this award.
6) Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award formerly called RGKR Award consists of a medal & a certificate with a cash prize of INR 25 lakhs.
7) No awards were given in the years 2008 and 2017.
8) Virat Kohli (Capt. Indian Cricket Team) was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2018.
9) The award is distributed by the President of India.
10) There are two more major awards given in the field of sports named Arjuna Award & Dronacharya Award.
1) The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was initiated by the Government of India in the year 1991-1992.
2) It is the highest-ranking honour in the field of sports (sports honour) given in India.
3) The award is conferred to the players in order to applaud and encourage their performance.
4) The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is presented every year by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
5) An individual, as well as a team, is eligible to be awarded it for their excellent performance in the sport.
6) The award contains a medal, a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 7.5 lakh.
7) The award is presented to the players of Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, Olympic Games and Paralympics Games.
8) The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given by The President of India.
9) A player can achieve this award only once throughout his life.
10) The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was not conferred in the year 1993-1994.
The set of 10 lines on Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award provided above has enough information to build your basic confidence on the topic yet we are providing you with another set of 10 facts on the same topic just to boost your knowledge at some higher level. The language of this set is still kept easy and simple. You can also use these points in your essays, articles and blogs to make them more explanatory and effective.
1) The nominations are received from various Government sports organizations with not more than 2 players belonging to each sport.
2) The BCCI provides the suggestion for the nomination of cricket players in India.
3) The nominations are received only till 30th April of that year.
4) Any sports person who has ever been the victim of drug abuse is not considered for the award.
5) The nominations are submitted towards a selection committee of 12 members constituted by the Government of India.
6) The various national and international sports medals add some points to the value of the player.
7) The list of the recommended persons is submitted to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for review.
8) Vishwanathan Anand, awarded for chess was the first recipient for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
9) Till 2018, Pankaj Advani is the only sports person who has won this award for 2 different sports.
10) The cash prize is Rs. 7.5 lakh that was Rs. 1 lakh at the beginning of the award.
As it is clear now that the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award also abbreviated as ‘RGKR’ Award is the highest sports honour in India and subsequently a state of utmost honour for its recipient. The word ‘Khel-Ratna’ itself means ‘Jewel of Sport’ so it is worthless to further define the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and its value. We wish this award must keep decorating our Indian sport Jewels for many more years to make the whole world aware of our Indian talents.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Vishwanathan Anand won the first Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
Ans. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award(India's highest award) started in the year 1991.