Niger River is the main river of Western Africa. It is the third longest river in Africa after Nile and Congo rivers. There is a belief that Niger River has been named by the Greeks. It is also known by several other names including “Joliba” which means ‘Great River’. The Niger River is relatively clear and carries lesser amount of sediment i.e. approximately 10 percent of the sediment.
The water of the river mostly remains clear as it originates from the old rocks and does not carries much slits from the areas and is very suitable for irrigation and fishing purpose. Niger River runs by forming crescent through Guinea, Mali, Niger and shares the border with Benin and then it enters into Nigeria and falls into Gulf of Guinea.
Ten Lines on Niger River in English
We are providing here 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Niger River in English Language for students of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Students can get help in their studies from these sets of lines and complete their home work, assignments, project work and can get knowledge within less time also. So, let's start:
10 Lines on Niger River
1) Niger is the major river of Western Africa and it is the third longest river of Africa.
2) It is said that Niger River has got its name from the Latin word for black.
3) The Niger River is almost a clear river which carries ten percent of the sediment.
4) The river originates from guinea highlands located in South-Eastern Guinea.
5) Niger River has a crescent shape and it goes through Guinea, Mali, Niger etc areas.
6) It finally reaches the sea at large delta called as Niger delta, part of oil rivers.
7) The length of Niger River is 4180 km and the catchment area is 2,117,700 square km.
8) The tributaries which belong to Niger River are Alibori, Sirba, Tinkisso, Milo etc rivers.
9) Cities which are located on the banks of Niger River are Timbuktu, Bamako, Niamey etc.
10) Niger River gets flooded every year which starts from September and finishes in May.
10 Lines and Sentences on Niger River
1) The Niger River is the major river which flows in western part of Africa and is the third longest river of Africa apart from Nile and Congo rivers.
2) It flows in a form of crescent through guinea, Mali, Niger and shares the border with Benin and then it flows into Nigeria through oil rivers.
3) The source of Niger River is located in Guinea Islands in South-Eastern Guinea and discharges through Niger delta into Gulf of Guinea in Atlantic Ocean.
4) The two nations Niger and Nigeria are named after Niger River and the people living near it call it as “Jeliba” or “Joliba”.
5) Niger River is quiet and clear river with having only 10 percent of sediment in comparison to Nile River as the river’s source are old rock mountains.
6) Niger River gets flooded every year from September and becomes strongest in November and finishing in May.
7) The Niger delta extends for approximately 150 miles from north to south and spreads along the coast for about 200 miles with overall area of 14000 square miles.
8) Together with all the tributaries the Niger River covers a total area of approximately 19,00,000 square km and considered as the lifeline of western Africa.
9) Many varieties of fishes are found in Niger River and its tributaries like Catfish, Carp and Nile Perch.
10) Dams and hydroelectric plants are also built on Niger River like the Selingue Dam which is used for hydropower and irrigation.
5 Lines on Niger River
1) It is Africa’s third longest river.
2) It emerges from Guinea.
3) Its length is about 4180 km.
4) This river is quite clean.
5) Sirba, Alibori, Milo, etc are its tributaries.
20 Lines on Niger River
1) Niger River emerges from the western region of Africa.
2) It is regarded as the third-longest river in Africa after Nile and Congo.
3) It traces its course in Benin, Guinea, Mali, Niger, and Nigeria.
4) Guinea highlands in Guinea are the originating place of river Niger.
5) Niger River is 4180 km in length.
6) The area of the drainage basin of the river Niger is 4180 km.
7) Sokoto, Kaduna, Benue, etc are the left bank tributaries of the Niger River.
8) Bani, Mekrou are the right bank tributaries of the Niger River.
9) A massive Niger delta is formed by the river on its mouth.
10) Niger River empties into the Atlantic Ocean via the Gulf of Guinea.
11) Niger River is a crucial river of West Africa.
12) The name Niger River was first time used by Leo Africans.
13) The countries Niger and Nigeria got their name from the River Niger.
14) It has been derived from the phrase 'ger-n-ger' that means 'river of rivers'.
15) Niger River is stated as a clean river because it carries very less amount of silt.
16) It is because of the origin of rivers in ancient rocks.
17) Niger bend is the name given to the northern portion of river Niger.
18) This portion of the river Niger is a source of water in the Sahara desert.
19) Niger River is flooded every year during summers.
20) Djenne-Djenno settlement situated in Niger valley is a World Heritage Site.
Niger River is often regarded as lifeline of West Africa. Communities and people living besides the river are heavily dependent on Niger River, since it gives them environmental products and services such as fish and raw materials. It is also used for irrigation and transportation purposes. Various dams and hydroelectric projects have been built on Niger River like Selingue Dam, Kainji Dam, Jebba Dam etc providing electricity to the people.