Missouri River is the longest tributary of Mississippi River and is the second longest river of North America. It is river in the western united states and it is longer than Mississippi River and in fact the longest river in total North America. Missouri River rises in the Rocky Mountains located in western Montana. After crossing Rocky Mountains it flows eastwards across Montana and from there it also shares the border with Canada.
The Missouri River system is formed by the confluence of Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin rivers located in the Rocky Mountains area in the south-west Montana. Missouri used to be one of the important water routes in the United States during the 19th century which helped to grow trade in the area.
Ten Lines on Missouri River in English
We are providing here 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Missouri River in English Language for students of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Students can get help in their studies from these sets of lines and complete their home work, assignments, project work and can get knowledge within less time also. So, let's start:
10 Lines Missouri River
1) Missouri River is one of the major and important rivers of United States of America.
2) It is a tributary to the Mississippi River and is longer than it.
3) Missouri River is the second longest river of North America after Mississippi River.
4) The source of Missouri River is in the Rocky Mountains in the state of Montana.
5) From there Missouri River flows eastwards which is south to the border of Canada.
6) Missouri River then enters in the state of North Dakota and from there it turns south.
7) Length of Missouri River is 3767 km and the catchment area is 1,300,000 square km.
8) The tributaries of Missouri River are Yellowstone River, the Palette and Kansas rivers.
9) The cities which are on the banks of Missouri River are Kansas City, Nebraska and St Louis.
10) The nickname of Missouri River is “Big Muddy” as it contains a large number of silts.
10 Lines and Sentences Missouri River
1) Missouri River is one of the longest rivers of North America and is a part of western United States and longer than Mississippi.
2) Missouri River is formed by the confluence of Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin rivers in the Rocky Mountains near South-West Montana, 1200 m above sea level.
3) The Missouri River originates in the Rocky Mountains in Montana and from there it goes eastwards across Montana bordering with Canada.
4) The Missouri River’s drainage basin covers about 1,371,000 square km of the Great Plains out of which 16,840 square km lies in Southern Canada.
5) The Missouri River was named as “peki-tan-oui” mentioned in early French maps, later it was named as “Omerssourit”.
6) There are over 95 important tributaries and hundreds of smaller ones which get drained in Missouri River.
7) In the terms of water discharge, Missouri River is the ninth largest river of the United States after Mississippi River, St. Lawrence, Ohio, Columbia, Niagara etc rivers.
8) Missouri River also had importance in history of the United States as it was used as trade route of Lewis and Clarke expedition in 1804-1806.
9) The Missouri River basin has about 300 species of birds and 150 species of fish and due to the large sediment concentration, it does not support big ecosystem.
10) The major dams which are built on Missouri River are Fort Peck Dam near Glasgow, Montana, Garrison Dam in North Dakota and Gain’s Point in South Dakota.
5 Lines Missouri River
1) It is among the longest rivers in the United States.
2) It is the major tributary of the Mississippi river.
3) It is also famous as “Big Muddy”.
4) It flows through Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, etc.
5) Platte river, Yellowstone river, and Kansa are its tributaries.
20 Lines Missouri River
1) Missouri river emerges from the Western part of the United States.
2) It is regarded as the longest river in North America.
3) The river traces its course in the United States of America.
4) Brower's spring in Montana is the originating place of river Missouri.
5) Missouri River is 3767 km in length.
6) The area of the drainage basin of the Missouri river is 529350 square km.
7) Jefferson, Dearborn, Sun, etc are the left bank tributaries of river Missouri.
8) Madison, Gallatin, Yellowstone, etc are the right bank tributaries of river Missouri.
9) Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin rivers meet in the Rocky Mountains to form the river Missouri.
10) Missouri river finally unifies with Mississippi river near St. Louis in Missouri.
11) Missouri River is an important river in North America.
12) It is stated as a tributary of river Mississippi.
13) It forms the world's fourth longest river system with the Mississippi river.
14) Missouri River is termed as 'Big Muddy' as it carries excessive sediment loads.
15) The river water is utilized for irrigation, agriculture, and electricity production.
16) There are hundreds of dams constructed on the river for harnessing hydroelectricity.
17) Missouri river ways have been a great means of transportation from ancient times.
18) The river basin is home to diverse species of flora and fauna.
19) Missouri watershed was first inhabited by human population about 12000 years ago.
20) Missouri River water has been extensively polluted as a result of development and human activities.
Since the beginning of 20th century, the Missouri River has been extensively used for heavy engineering works for naval transportation services. Construction of dams on Missouri River was the final step in promoting navigation. Since water transport commerce and industrial development has further deteriorated the cleanliness and purity of Missouri River as it is facing enormous pollution nowadays with the degrading water quality.