Mississippi River is the second largest river as well as the chief river of the second largest river drainage system in North American continent. It is one of the longest rivers of the world. The name Mississippi comes from a local American language which means “Big River”. The Mississippi River drains most of the areas of Rocky Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains except in the areas of great mountains and Rio Grande River.
Mississippi River is divided into Upper Mississippi from its starting to Ohio River and the Lower Mississippi River from Ohio River to its last located in New Orleans. The river also acts as a border to the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kentucky and other states of North America.
Ten Lines on Mississippi River in English
We are providing here 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Mississippi River in English Language for students of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Students can get help in their studies from these sets of lines and complete their home work, assignments, project work and can get knowledge within less time also. So, let’s start:
10 Lines on Mississippi River
1) Mississippi is one of the major rivers which flow in United States of America.
2) It is the second largest river in the North American continent.
3) The source of Mississippi River is Lake Itasca which is near to the border of Canada.
4) The Mississippi River flows towards south in the middle region of United States.
5) The river crosses Ohio River and gets drained into Gulf of Mexico in New Orleans.
6) Length of Mississippi River is 3730 km and the catchment area is 1,245,000 square km.
7) With tributaries, Mississippi River covers all the 32 US states and two Canadian provinces.
8) The tributaries of Mississippi River are Minnesota, St. Croix, Wisconsin etc.
9) Cities located on Mississippi River bank are Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri etc.
10) Mark twain’s famous book “Huckleberry Finn” is also based on Mississippi River.
10 Lines and Sentences on Mississippi River
1) Mississippi River is the second longest and the main river of the second largest drainage system in North American continent, second to Hudson Bay drainage system.
2) The Mississippi River is taken out from the old Ojibwe word ‘misi-ziibi’ which means ‘Great River’.
3) The Mississippi River originates from Lake Itasca which is located in Northern Minnesota and flows south to Mississippi River delta in the Gulf of Mexico.
4) The main stream of Mississippi River is situated entirely in United States with the total drainage basin of 2,980,000 square km where only one percent lies in Canada.
5) The Mississippi River can be divided into three sections viz, the Upper Mississippi, the Middle Mississippi and the Lower Mississippi regions.
6) Mississippi River has the fourth largest drainage basin and it covers more than 3,220,000 square km and gets emptied into the Gulf of Mexico, a part of the Atlantic Ocean.
7) The Mississippi River flows at an annual average rate between 200 to 700 cubic feet/second which is the fifth largest river in the world by the volume.
8) It flows through ten states from Minnesota to Louisiana and it also touches the borders of Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Iowa, Arkansas etc.
9) A big portion of the book “Huckleberry Finn” written by Mark Twain tells the story of Mississippi River, another book “Life on Mississippi” is also based on it.
10) The first bridge built across Mississippi River was in 1855 and the first rail-road bridge was built in 1856 extending to rock arsenal islands to Illinois.
5 Lines on Mississippi River
1) It is North America’s second longest river.
2) It is the world’s third largest watershed.
3) Mississippi River is 3,766 km in length.
4) It arises in Lake Itasca, Minnesota.
5) It is the most important commercial waterway.
20 Lines on Mississippi River
1) Mississippi river emerges in the Western region of the United States.
2) It is regarded as the second largest river in North America.
3) The river traces its course in the United States of America.
4) Lake Itasca in northern Minnesota is the originating place of the Mississippi River.
5) Mississippi River is 3730 km in length.
6) The drainage basin of the Mississippi River covers an area of 1151000 square km.
7) One percent of the area of the drainage basin of the river lies in Canada.
8) St. Croix, Wisconsin, Rock, etc are the left bank tributaries of the Mississippi River.
9) Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas are the right bank tributaries of Mississippi River.
10) Mississippi River empties into the Atlantic Ocean via the Gulf of Mexico.
11) Mississippi river is stated as the longest river in North America.
12) It is stated as the world’s 14th largest river by volume of water.
13) The river is also called as ‘Old Man River’ or ‘Father of waters’.
14) Its drainage system is ranked as the fourth-largest in the world.
15) It flows through 32 states of the United States and 2 Canadian provinces.
16) Misi-ziibi is the root word of Mississippi that means ‘Great River’.
17) Mississippi river is categorized into the upper, middle, and lower Mississippi.
18) The river is known for causing devastating floods.
19) Mississippi river basin is enriched with different species of birds and fish.
20) The river has been a lifeline to the people of America from ancient times.
Approximately 375 species of fishes are known which belongs to Mississippi River basin due to its size and high species variety. The Mississippi River basin is often classified into two categories. The Upper Mississippi River is a habitat of 120 species of fish alone. In 1815 the America retained its control over Mississippi by getting a decisive victory over the Britishers in the battle of New Orleans, which was a part of the war of 1812.