Mekong River is a trans-boundary river which flows through China, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. The flow of Mekong River is up to South-China Sea and it originates from the Tibetan plateau. The variation of flow and presence of water falls makes the river not good for navigational purpose. It is the seventh longest river in Asia as well as the twelfth longest river in the world with the length of around 2703 miles.
About three-fourth of the Mekong River lies within the four countries of Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam and a commission is set up to manage the use of the river's resources among the countries. Mekong River drains 3,13,000 square miles of area with a discharge of water around 114 cusec meter annually.
Ten Lines on Mekong River in English
We are providing here 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Mekong River in English Language for students of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Students can get help in their studies from these sets of lines and complete their home work, assignments, project work and can get knowledge within less time also. So, let's start:
10 Lines on Mekong River
1) Mekong River is a trans-boundary river which flows in South-East of Asia.
2) Mekong flows through China, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
3) The river starts from the Tibetan plateau and flows to China’s Yunnan province.
4) After flowing from Yunnan, Mekong meets the tripoint of China, Myanmar and Laos.
5) After passing the tripoint, Mekong turns south-east on the border of Laos in Thailand.
6) The length of Mekong River is 4350 km and the catchment area is 7,95,000 square km.
7) Mekong River basin has different species of fishes as well as dolphins, otters etc.
8) Tributaries of Mekong River are Nam Ta, Nam Soung, Nam Khan, Nam Mae Kok etc.
9) The cities located on banks of Mekong River are Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh etc.
10) Mekong River is highly used for navigation and irrigation purpose as it is very fertile.
10 Lines and Sentences on Mekong River
1) Mekong River is a trans-boundary river of Asia which flows through the countries of China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.
2) The English name “Mekong” comes from Thai and Lao languages “Mae Mam Khong” were ‘mae nam’ means mother of waters and ‘khong’ is the proper name.
3) Mekong River is the twelfth longest river of the world and seventh longest river in Asia with a water discharge of 475 cubic km of water annually.
4) It originates in the Lasagongma spring which is located in the plateaus of Tibet and flows about 2703 km towards south-east to the South China Sea.
5) Mekong drainage basin is divided into two parts; the first is “Upper Mekong basin” in Tibet and second is “Lower Mekong basin” from Yunnan to South China Sea.
6) Mekong River is divided into two branches below Phnom Penh viz, the Mekong Proper and the Baasac and below this area the delta spreads out to the sea.
7) The Mekong Delta is a region located in Vietnam where Mekong River gets emptied in South China Sea and the delta covers an area of approximately 15,600 square miles.
8) The Mekong River Basin is one of the richest areas of biodiversity in the world with 20,000 plants, 430 mammals, 1200 birds and 800 reptile’s species.
9) Fishing is an important activity here but mostly the river is used for navigation.
10) Various dams and hydroelectric projects are built on Mekong River like Guoduo Dam, Miaowei Dam, Xiaowan Dam, Manwan Dam etc.
5 Lines on Mekong River
1) It is located in South-East Asia.
2) It is the 12th longest river on Earth.
3) It emerges from the Tibetan plateau.
4) Its length is approximately 4,900 km.
5) It covers Laos, Cambodia, China, Burma, etc.
20 Lines on Mekong River
1) Mekong River emerges in the southeastern part of China.
2) It is regarded as the world's 12th longest river.
3) The river traces its course through China, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
4) Lasagongma spring in the Tibetan plateau is the originating place of the river Mekong.
5) Mekong River is 4350 km in length.
6) The area of the drainage basin of the Mekong River is 795000 square km.
7) The rate of the annual discharge of the Mekong River is 475 cubic km.
8) Nam Kahan, Tha, Nam Ou are the left bank tributaries of river Mekong.
9) Mun, Tonle Sap, Kok, Ruak are the right bank tributaries of river Mekong.
10) Mekong River empties into the South China Sea.
11) Mekong River is stated as the sixth-longest river on the Asian continent.
12) It forms a border between East Asia and Southeast Asia.
13) It forms the longest river in Southeast Asia.
14) Mae Nam Khong was the original name of the Mekong River.
15) Mekong river course from its source to Yunan is termed as 'Upper Mekong Basin'.
16) Lower Mekong Basin is the name given to the course of the river from Yunan to the South China Sea.
17) The river way is good trade route between Western China and Southeast Asia.
18) Mekong river basin is home to a variety of flora and fauna.
19) It is among the world's richest biodiversity areas.
20) River biodiversity is majorly impacted by the construction of dams and overfishing.
There are lots of people who live on the Mekong River basin are mostly dependent on agriculture and rice is a major crop cultivated on Mekong River basin areas. In the lower basin of Mekong River, flood control and water management offers major opportunities for increased and sustained economic activities. The bridges, dams with hydroelectric power plants are also built on Mekong River such as Neak Leung Bridge on Phnom Penh in Cambodia etc.