Edward Witten was born into a Jewish family on 26thAugust, 1951 in Baltimore, Maryland (USA) and is a theoretical physicist and a Professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton New Jersey. His mother was Lorraine W. Witten and his father, Louis Witten, was a theoretical physicist specializing in gravitation and general relativity. Witten is respected among the mathematicians and physicists by his unique ability to interpret physical ideas in mathematical form. Speaking at the American Mathematical Society Centennial Symposium in 1988, he explained the relation between geometry and theoretical physics.
Witten has been awarded with top honours from various institutions for his researches and contributions in the field of math and physics. He was also awarded with the most precious award such as the Albert Einstein Award in 1985 which is considered equivalent to the Nobel Prize.
He was also a recipient of the National Medal of Science that is awarded to the individuals who have invented significant theories in the field of science and related subject by the President of the US. He is married with a professor of physics at Princeton University, Chiara Nappi. He lives in New Jersey with his wife and two daughters. He is appointed in the board of directors for Americans for Peace Now.
Ten Lines on Edward Witten in English
We are going to provide below the life, education, work, and contribution of a famous physicist and mathematician Edward Witten who explained the string theory. Here you will know the principles intervened and explored by him. These important lines on him will reflex his works in the field of physics and mathematics and will enhance the knowledge of the readers. School going children will get benefitted by these facts and they may use these lines for their school assignments.
10 Lines on Edward Witten – Set 1
1) Edward Witten was born in Baltimore, Maryland on August 26, 1951.
2) He is the son of Louis Witten and Lorraine W. Witton.
3) His father was a theoretical physicist.
4) He achieved his Master of Arts degree and finally his Ph.D. in 1976 from Princeton University.
5) He was the founder of the string theory which is looking at the natural world in terms of strings and loops made up of the particles of life.
6) Witten believes that the string theory can explain the origins of the universe.
7) Edward Witten is married to Chiara Nappi, a talented physicist who has taught Princeton and other colleges.
8) It is estimated that He had earned around $1 million till date.
9) Witten loves to play Tennis in his leisure and he follows the vegetarian diet.
10) His results have highly influenced many areas in theoretical physics including string theory, quantum gravity, and topological condensed matters.
In the other set of ten lines we have tried to touch the principles given by the famous physicist of the present time Edward Witten. These special points will inspire you to know more about his works and achievements and you will be impressed by the theories defined by him. Students will use these facts in few of their school assignments and they may inspire by his thoughts and teachings.
10 Lines on Edward Witten – Set 2
1) Witten's has contributed a lot in the discovery of the super string theory and his M-string theory.
2) Witten attended Baltimore Hebrew in his childhood and at the age of 12 he wrote letters criticising the Vietnam War appeared in the local newspaper's editorial section.
3) Although Witten had keen interest in physics, but he wanted to become a journalist so he attended Brandeis University and received his graduation with a degree in history.
4) First he was not determined whether to study mathematics or physics, yet he chose physics and earned his master degree in 1974 and his doctorate in 1976.
5) Witten started his career in physics as a junior fellow of the Society of Fellows at Harvard University and later on joined Princeton University in 1980 as one of the youngest professor.
6) Because of his teaching style where long pauses are observed to gather his thoughts and his soft spoken voice he was nicknamed ' the Martian' by his students who have extreme respect for him.
7) He had given evidences of the positive energy theorem in general relativity that claims that the total energy of a gravitational system is always positive.
8) On relating super-symmetry and Morse theory, Witten has given a physical proof by interpreting the theory in terms of super-symmetric quantum mechanics.
9) Edward Witten is the recipient of the Fields Medal award by the International Mathematical Union in 1990, and became the first physicist to win the prize.
10) He is also a member in the list of TIME magazine's 100 most influential people of 2004 and in 2012 as he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Edward Witten is a famous physicist and mathematician whose thoughts and researches are proved very generous in the field of science. By his experiments he has developed the Einstein’s theory and combined his theory of relativity with his string theory. Still many researches and contributions from is end is eagerly awaited by the intellects.