Murray River is a principal river as well as the third longest river of Australia. It is one of the main rivers of Murray-Darling River System. Murray River flows through the provinces of New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. Murray is the third longest navigable river as well as the third largest river of the world according to the catchment area as the rocks and mountains in the course of river makes it the longest one in transportation.
The overall catchment area of Murray River is the one-seventh of Australia’s land mass and the river makes a border in between Victoria and New South Wales states. It also acts as a major source of irrigation and termed as the food bowl of the nation.
Ten Lines on Murray River in English
10 Lines on Murray River – Set 1
1) Murray River is one of the largest and the principal river of Australia.
2) It is one of the main rivers of the Murray-Darling River System.
3) Murray River starts from the snowy mountains and flows in the west direction.
4) It forms boundary between the provinces of Victoria and New South Wales.
5) The river drains into the Murray mouth into south-eastern part of Indian Ocean.
6) Murray River basin is most irrigated region in Australia and called as food bowl of the nation.
7) The length of Murray River is 2508 km and the catchment area is 1,061,469 square km.
8) The total catchment area of Murray River is one-seventh of Australia’s total land area.
9) Tributaries which flow in the Murray River are Darling, Lachlan and Murrumbidgee rivers.
10) Cities which are based near Murray River are Wodonga, Renmark, Swan Hill and Murray Bridge.
10 Lines on Murray River – Set 2
1) Murray is Australia’s longest river in the Murray-Darling River System which flows through the provinces of Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales.
2) In the beginning, Murray River was called as ‘Hume River’ when it was discovered by Hamilton Hume and William Hovell in November 1824.
3) The river got its name Murray when the explorer ‘Charles Strut’ renamed Hume River in January 1830 after a British politician ‘Sir George Murray’.
4) Murray River originates in the Australian Alps which covers the western side of Australia’s high mountains and mover across Australian plains.
5) It makes a border between the provinces of New South Wales and Victoria and then flows to the north-west into South Australia.
6) At Morgan in South Australia, Murray River takes a sharp bend southward to flow into Lake Alexandria and then it falls in the Great Australian Bight.
7) Approximately, 2000 km length of Murray River is navigable which makes it the third longest navigable river on earth.
8) It is also the third largest river in terms of catchment area and due to the higher mountains in its way it also has higher run off.
9) Murray River along with its tributaries has a variety of aquatic lives in its basin like Murray cod, golden perch, silver perch etc.
10) Several dams and irrigation areas are developed on the Murray River basin like ‘Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area’ and Chowilla Dam, constructed in 1960.
10 Lines on Murray River – Set 3
1) Murray River emanates from the southeastern region of Australia.
2) It is regarded as the longest river in Australia.
3) The river traces its course entirely within Australia.
4) It forms the border between New South Wales and Victoria cities of Australia.
5) The Pilot Mountains in New South Wales is the originating point of River Murray.
6) Murray River is 2508 km in length.
7) The area of the drainage basin of river Murray is 1061469 square km.
8) Kiewa, Ovens, Loddon, etc. are the left bank tributaries of River Murray.
9) Swampy Plains, Murrumbidgee, Darling, etc are the right bank tributaries of River Murray.
10) Murray River terminates into the Great Australian Bight via Murray mouth.
10 Lines on Murray River – Set 4
1) Murray River is an important river of Australia
2) The name of the river is kept on the name of Colonial Secretary Sir George Murray.
3) The average discharge of river Murray River is 767 cubic meters per second.
4) The river is a chief component of the Murray Darling river system.
5) The length of the Murray-Darling river system is 3750 km.
6) Murray River serves as a good means of transportation.
7) Edwards crossing was the first bridge to be built across river Murray in 1869.
8) The river water is the major source of drinking water and irrigation.
9) Goolwa, Mundo channel, Ewe Island, etc. barrages built on the river helps in harnessing hydroelectricity.
10) Murray River basin is home to a variety of flora and fauna.
The Murray River basin has a great region which is favourable for irrigation of crops. It is approximately, 3.6 million acres which is more than 70 percent of the total land of Australia. The Murray River basin is the second largest wine production region. Various dams have also been constructed on Murray River like the multipurpose snowy mountains hydro-electric scheme which was completed in 1974 increased the amount of water for irrigation.