Rio Grande is the fifth longest river of North America and the 20th largest river of the world. It forms a border between the two states of America viz. Texas and Mexico. Rio Grande River begins in South-Central Colorado based in US and travels to the Gulf of Mexico.
The river makes a part of the natural border between the US state of Texas and the Mexican states of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas.
The meaning of the Rio Grande River in Spanish is the “Great River” and the source of Rio Grande is San Juan Mountain which is located in Colorado, United States.
The river acted as an important source of navigation during the 19th century and also provided transport to the US Army during wars.
Ten Lines on Rio Grande River in English
We have provided ten lines on Rio Grande River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Rio Grande River, what is the position of Rio Grande River in North America and in world, through which countries Rio Grande River flows, what is the length and catchment area of Rio Grande River, what is the capacity of watershed of Rio Grande River, what are the tributaries of Rio Grande River, which cities are on Rio Grande River etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on Rio Grande River as well as related topics like Rio Grande River facts, course of Rio Grande River, Rio Grande River start and end or few lines on Rio Grande River etc.
10 Lines on Rio Grande River – Set 1
1) Rio Grande is one the longest and the major river which flows in North America.
2) It is the fifth longest in North America and 20th longest river of the world.
3) It is a trans-boundary river which flows between United States and Mexico.
4) Rio Grande River originates in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado in United States.
5) Rio Grande during its way of flowing forms a part of the United States-Mexico border.
6) After flowing to US and Mexico, Rio Grande gets emptied into Gulf of Mexico.
7) Length of Rio Grande River is 3,051 km and the catchment area is 472,000 square km.
8) The Rio Grande River basin has the watershed of approximately 870,000 square km.
9) The tributaries of Rio Grande River are San Juan, Rio Salado, and Devil’s River etc.
10) Cities which are on the Rio Grande basin are Colorado, New Mexico and Chihuahua etc.
We have provided another set of ten points on Rio Grande River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will find that what Rio Grande is called in other languages and its meaning, what is the distance of Rio Grande from Mexico to Gulf of Mexico, which is the largest tributary of Rio Grande in discharge and which tributary is largest in drainage, how many acres does Rio Grande irrigates, which dams are built on Rio Grande etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Rio Grande River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Rio Grande River – Set 2
1) Rio Grande is the principal as well as one of the major rivers which flows into the south-west United States and northern Mexico in North America.
2) In Spanish, Rio Grande is called as “Rio Grande del Norte” which means ‘Great River’ and in Mexican it is called as “Rio Bravo” or “Rio Bravo del Norte”.
3) Rio Grande is the fifth longest river of North America and the 20th longest river in the world and a trans-boundary river dividing Texas and Mexico.
4) The river starts in the San Juan Mountains from South-Central Colorado in the United States and flows to the South-East and south of Colorado.
5) Rio Grande flows to the south up to 760 km across New Mexico and it turns south-east for up to 2000 km crossing the Texas and Mexico and falls into Gulf of Mexico.
6) Largest tributary of Rio Grande by discharge is the Rio Conchos which contributes twice as much as water than any river.
7) The average annual water discharge of Rio Grande River is 3.2 billion cubic metres but now it has become 85 cubic metres per second.
8) The Rio Grande provides water to approximately 2,100,000 acres of cropland and the major crops grown in the river basin are cotton, grapes, citrus fruits etc.
9) The major reservoirs in the Rio Grande basin are Falcon Reservoir, Lake Toronto, Elephant Butte, Marte Gomez Dam and Venustiano Carranza (Don Martin Dam).
10) The dams on Rio Grande River are Rio Grande Dam, Cochiti Dam, Caballo Dam, Amistad Dam, Falcon Dam, Anzalduas Dam and Retamal Dam etc.
The United States and Mexico share the water of Rio Grande River under a series of agreements which is governed by the International Boundary and Water Commission (IBWC), US-Mexico. After agriculture and animal husbandry, the other leading industries on the Rio Grande basin are mining which includes petroleum, natural gas, coal, uranium ore, silver, lead, gold, potash and gypsum. Irrigation has been practiced in Rio Grande basin since pre-historic times.