Zambezi River is the fourth largest river in Africa and it covers a very big portion of South-Central Africa. It is also one of the largest rivers which fall into the Indian Ocean. Zambezi River is a trans-boundary river which flows through Zambia, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. The Zambezi River flows eastwards up to 3540 km from its source of central African plateau.
The meaning of Zambezi is “Great River” and it includes many famous falls like Victoria Falls, Chavuma Falls and Ngonye Falls. It also has some important hydroelectric projects which provide electricity to nearby regions. The source of Zambezi River is located about 4900 ft above the sea level in the Mwinilunga district, located at the border of Zambia, Angola and Congo meet.
Ten Lines on Zambezi River in English
10 Lines on Zambezi River – Set 1
1) Zambezi River is the fourth largest river in Africa and a trans-boundary river.
2) It flows through 6 countries and is the longest east river flowing in Africa.
3) Zambezi River is also one of the largest rivers which fall into Indian Ocean.
4) The river originates from a marshy bog near Kalene hill located in Zambia.
5) From there, Zambezi River flows approximately 20 miles before entering to Angola.
6) Lower Zambezi basin in Mozambique is the most productive and fertile area in Africa.
7) The length of Zambezi River is 2574 km and catchment area is 1,390,000 square km.
8) The first European who entered Zambezi River was Vasco da Gama in January 1498.
9) The tributaries of the Zambezi River are Luena, Kabompo, Lungwebungu rivers etc.
10) Cities which are located on the banks of Zambezi River are Kariba, Lukulu, Tete, etc.
10 Lines on Zambezi River – Set 2
1) Zambezi River also written as ‘Zambesi’ flows through a large part of South-Central Africa and regarded as the “River of Life”.
2) It is the fourth largest river water system in Africa and a trans-boundary river which flows through Zambia, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
3) Zambezi River flows out of a marshy land Near Kalene hills near Zambia, it then flows to eastern Angola after flowing about 20 miles.
4) Zambezi River flows into the north-eastern border near Kazungula, Namibia and the northern border of Botswana and then turns towards east.
5) The river also borders between Zambia and Zimbabwe and then rushes to Mozambique and falls into Indian Ocean.
6) The Zambezi River is divided into three sections viz. Upper Zambezi up to 240 km, Middle Zambezi up to 200 km and Lower Zambezi up to 650 km.
7) The northern part of the Zambezi River has an average annual rainfall of 1100 mm to 1400 mm which moves towards south and reaches up to half of the South-West.
8) Zambezi River has a large ecosystem as well as aquatic population comprising of hippopotamus, crocodiles, buffalos, zebras, giraffes, elephant etc.
9) The main attraction on the Zambezi River is ‘Victoria falls’ and another famous fall is the ‘Chavuma falls’ located on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
10) Dams built on river are Kariba Dam providing power to Zambia and Zimbabwe and Cahora Bassa Dam in Mozambique.
10 Lines on Zambezi River – Set 3
1) Zambezi River emanates from the central region of Africa.
2) It is regarded as the fourth-longest river in the African continent.
3) It traces its course in six countries of Africa.
4) The countries are Zambia, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique.
5) Miombo woodland in lkelenge district in Zambia is the originating place of the river Zambezi.
6) Zambezi River is 2574 km in length.
7) The area of the river basin of river Zambezi is 1390000 square km.
8) The average discharge of the Zambezi River is 3400 cubic meters per second.
9) Luna, Gwayi, Lucia, Shire, etc. are the tributaries of the River Zambezi.
10) Zambezi River finally empties into the Indian Ocean.
10 Lines on Zambezi River – Set 4
1) Zambezi is a principal river of the African continent.
2) The river is also called Zambesi and it means Great River.
3) It is stated as Africa's largest river flowing into the Indian Ocean.
4) Zambezi River is categorized as upper, middle, and lower Zambezi.
5) Victoria Falls is the striking point of the river Zambezi that adds beauty to it.
6) The river water is utilized for irrigation and hydroelectricity production.
7) Kariba and Cahora Bassa are the two major hydropower projects built on the river.
8) The river basin is enriched by different species of flora and fauna.
9) It is the reservoir of several minerals and fossil fuels.
10) Zambezi river water is home to more than a hundred species of fish.
Sewage and other pollutants which are discharged in Zambezi River are affecting the quality of the river water. The industrial units and the urban areas located near Zambezi River are also equally responsible for the pollution. The construction of major dams and barrages has also affected the wildlife as well as the aquatic life which are dependent on Zambezi River. However, lots of efforts are being done to overcome the pollution in the river.