Bhai Dooj/Yama Dwitiya is a festival which is celebrated after the two days of Diwali. It falls in the month of Karthik of Hindu calendar or in October/November every year. The festival of Bhai Dooj marks the relation and affection of brother and sister.It is the second occasion after Raksha Bandhan which commemorates the bond between brother and sister. On this day, every brother goes to his sister’s home where his sister welcomes him with sweets and in return brother gives her gifts. On the same day of the festival, Chitragupta Pujan is also done.
It is believed that on this day Lord Chitragupta appeared from the inner will of Lord Brahma.
Ten Lines on Bhai Dooj/Yama Dwitiya/Bhai Tika in English
We have provided ten lines on Bhai Dooj in English. After reading these lines you will know that what is Bhai Dooj, when Bhai Dooj/Yama Dwitiya/Bhai Tika is celebrated, which another festival Bhai Dooj resembles to, what is done in Bhai Dooj, what is the story behind Bhai Dooj, what does the sisters apply on their brother’s forehead, what is the motive of Bhai Dooj etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exams as well as in the school competitions. It will support your essays on Bhai Dooj as well as related topics like history of Bhai Dooj, story of Bhai Dooj, why Bhai Dooj is celebrated for or few lines on Bhai Dooj etc.
1) Bhai Dooj is a festival which is celebrated annually by the Hindus of India and Nepal.
2) It is celebrated in the month of October/November after two days of Diwali.
3) The celebration of Bhai Dooj is very similar to the festival of Raksha Bandhan.
4) On Bhai Dooj, all the sisters pray to the almighty for the betterment of their brothers.
5) On Bhai Dooj, the brothers also give gifts to their sisters for showing their affection.
6) There is a legend that when Lord Yamraj, the god of death visited his sister Yamuna’s home, she welcomed him with all respect and regards.
7) Since then the festival got started during which sisters pray for long life of their brothers and brothers shower them with gifts.
8) On Bhai Dooj, sisters apply ‘Tika’ or ‘Tilak’ on the forehead of their brothers and perform aarti.
9) The festival of Bhai Dooj reaffirms the pious relation of sister and brothers.
10) Bhai Dooj is celebrated with different names and rituals across India and Nepal but with the same motive and feeling.
We have also provided another set of ten lines on Bhai Dooj. After going through these lines, you will find that when Bhai Dooj is celebrated, what do sisters pray on Bhai Dooj, what are the other names of Bhai Dooj in different states, what are the legends which are associated with Bhai Dooj, which another deity is worshiped on Bhai Dooj.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Bhai Dooj and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
Read Also : Long Essay on Govardhan Puja
1) Bhai Dooj is a festival which is celebrated two days after the festival of Diwali every year especially by the Hindus.
2) As per the Hindu calendar, the festival of Bhai Dooj falls in Karthik month and in the month of October/November as per Gregorian calendar.
3) Bhai Dooj is the second festival after Raksha Bandhan which is dedicated to the pious relation of brother and sister.
4) On the occasion of Bhai Dooj, all the sisters pray for the good health, progress and better life of their brothers.
5) Bhai Dooj is known by various names in different states of India like, ‘Bhai Phota’ or ‘Bhai Phonta’ in Bengal and ‘Bhau Beej’ in Maharashtra.
6) On the same day of Bhai Dooj, “Chitragupta Pujan” is also done where Lord Chitragupta is worshiped by every section of the society.
7) There are various legends around the festival which implies the start of the festival.
8) One legend says that after killing the demon called ‘Narakasura’, Lord Krishna visited his younger sister Subhadra’s home and from where the festival got started.
9) On the occasion of Bhai Dooj, sisters invite their brothers for a special meal which includes delicious sweets and delicacies.
10) During the rituals of Bhai Dooj, sisters apply “Tika” on their brother’s forehead and feed them sweets and in return brothers give them gifts.
Here we have prepared the 3rd set of 10 lines on the festival of Bhai Dooj. The set is meant to provide you all the related information on the topic in some easy language so that no fact should be left unknown to you by anyhow. The important points in the set will help the reader to create his own essay, speech, article or any other project on the topic.
1) Bhai Dooj is a festival of brother and sister in Hindu customs.
2) Bhai Dooj is celebrated on the 2nd day of the Shukla Paksha of the month of Karthik in Hindu calendar.
3) Bhai Dooj is mainly celebrated by the Kayastha Community in India.
4) On the day, the sister prepares different variety of dishes for her brother.
5) According to a story, lord Krishna had visited his sister on this auspicious day.
6) The brother visits his sister on this day and brings her some beautiful gifts.
7) The sister treats her brother with many dishes and prays for his long life.
8) The sister worships her brother and applies tika on his forehead.
9) The festival of Bhai Dooj celebrates the everlasting love between brother and sister.
10) Bhai Dooj is an important festival that is celebrated with different names in different parts of India.
We have prepared the 4th set of 10 lines on Bhai Dooj. As we all know that it is a very important topic so we never wanted you to keep away from any single information. The set is prepared in basic language so that the reader must not counter any difficulty while going through the set. The facts and information provided below will guide you to get the whole information on the topic. So let’s start.
1) Bhai Dooj is also called Bhai Tika, Bhai Beej and Bhai Phonta.
2) Bhai Dooj falls on the last day celebration of Hindu festival of Diwali/Deepawali.
3) Bhai Dooj is celebrated as ‘Yam Dwitiya’ in the most southern parts of India.
4) The sisters especially prepare the foods that their brothers like the most.
5) Apart from India, Bhai Dooj is equally famous in Nepal also.
6) In India, the festival is grandly celebrated in Haryana, Goa, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
7) Bhai Dooj can be called a festival of family reunion.
8) On the day of Bhai Dooj, God Chitragupta is also worshipped with all rituals.
9) In Nepal, the festival of Bhai Dooj is celebrated with the name of Bhai Tika.
10) The sisters in Nepal apply seven coloured Tika on the forehead of their brothers.
Bhai Dooj reunites and renews the relationship between brothers and sisters where all the family members sit together and celebrate this festival. In present world where families are shrinking and family members are living at distant places, the meeting and get together of the members has become very seldom. Bhai Dooj is one of the festivals which brings the relatives close and make them as a part of their family. This festival also celebrates the ancient culture of India and the pious relationship of brothers and sisters.