India is known in the world for producing milk in a very large amount. In fact, India is the largest milk producer in the world. The man behind it is Verghese Kurien. Let’s read about him through our some sets of 10 lines on Verghese Kurien below. These sets will also make you aware of the white revolution in India.
Ten Lines on Verghese Kurien
10 Lines on Verghese Kurien – Set 1
1) Verghese Kurien was the father of the white revolution in India.
2) He was born on 26 November 1921 in Kerala.
3) He pursued the post-graduate in Mechanical Engineering in the year 1948 from the United States of America.
4) After returning to India, he started working as Dairy Division in Anand, a place in Gujarat.
5) It was the period when there was a huge variation in the production of the milk.
6) He, with his friend, started milk powder of the excess buffalo milk and the idea worked.
7) Then-Prime Minister Late Lal Bahadur Shastri set up National Dairy Development Board at Anand on the direction of Verghese Kurien.
8) On 15 June 1953, he married Susan Molly Peter.
9) With his contributions, Amul became a competitive brand in the International market.
10) On 9 September 2012, this great man rested in peace forever.
10 Lines on Verghese Kurien – Set 2
1) Verghese Kurien is world-famous as the ‘Milkman of India’.
2) The dairy where he used to work later become Amul (Anand Milk Union Limited).
3) Amul was established by Dr. Kurien as KDCMPUL (Kaira District Cooperative Milk Producer’s Union Limited).
4) Under his direction, the Operation Flood by NDDB increased the production of Milk of whole India.
5) Verghese Kurien had also shown his skill in writing.
6) Some of his books are I Too Had a Dream, An Unfinished Dream, and Sapna Jo Pura Hua, etc.
7) In his childhood, he wanted to become an engineer in the Indian military.
8) He was awarded in India as well as in other countries.
9) He was awarded all the three Padma Awards by the Government of India.
10) The birth anniversary of Dr. Kurien is celebrated as National Milk Day every year.
5 Lines on Verghese Kurien
1) Verghese Kurien is an Indian engineer and entrepreneur.
2) He was born in Calicut, Kerala on 26 November 1921.
3) He was instrumental in setting up AMUL.
4) He played pivotal role in White Revolution of India.
5) Unfortunately, he was died on September 9, 2012.
20 Lines on Verghese Kurien
1) Verghese Kurien was an Indian social entrepreneur.
2) He played a major role in the development of the White Revolution.
3) He was born in Calicut, Kerala on 26 November 1921.
4) He studied at Madras Christian College and later at the Gujarat Agricultural University.
5) His father, Puthenparakkal Kurien worked as a civil surgeon in British Cochin.
6) On June 15, 1953, Dr. Verghese Kurien was married to Susan Molly Peter.
7) He was the founder and chairman of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
8) Numerous significant institutions were founded under his inspirational guidance.
9) He also founded the Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA).
10) He played a major role in the establishment of Amul, India’s first cooperative dairy.
11) He was also awarded the World Food Prize in 1989 for his innovation and pioneering work in the dairy industry.
12) He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1965, the Padma Bhushan in 1966, and the Padma Vibhushan in 1999 for his contributions.
13) He was the recipient of the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1963 for Community Leadership.
14) He also served as the chairman of the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd.
15) He was a passionate advocate for the upliftment of the rural poor.
16) Dr. Kurien has received over 15 honorary Doctorates and over ten ‘Fellowships’.
17) He also fought against the “oil kings” and made India self-sufficient in edible oils.
18) He wrote several books including ‘I Too Had a Dream’ and ‘An Unfinished Dream’.
19) Making India a nation with milk shortage to the largest milk producer in the world can be attributed to Dr. Kurein.
20) Dr. Verghese Kurien passed away on September 9, 2012, as a result of a brief illness.
The establishment of Amul (Anand Milk Union Limited) was a good decision for India. It made India forward in the production of Milk. Undoubtedly, it was not possible without the contribution of Dr. Verghese Kurien. We the Indians salute him.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Verghese Kurien
Ans. In India, National Milk Day is observed annually on November 26. It marks the birth anniversary of Dr. Verghese Kurien, the founder of Amul.
Ans. It is “Anand Milk Union Limited”.
Ans. Dr. Verghese Kurien led the ‘White Revolution’, the world’s largest dairy development effort, in 1970.
Ans. The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) is an Indian government agency established in 1965 to promote the growth of the dairy industry.
Ans. Verghese Kurien was the architect of Operation Flood, the world’s largest agricultural development programme.