Owls are the birds belonging to the category of 200 species of nocturnal birds with presence in all across the globe except Antarctica. The scientific name of the species is Strigiformes. Owls belong to the special category of the birds which generally sleep during the day time and hunt at night. Owl prefers to live alone meaning they don’t form a group and are not very social in nature like other birds species.
Ten Lines on Owls in English
We have provided 10 lines, 5 lines, 20 lines, few lines and sentences on Owls in English for Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 for their proper understanding. You can add these lines in your essay and paragraph in your exams and in competition.
10 Lines on Owls
1) Owls have very diverse groups including medium sized to large one with strong legs and feathers. They have very colourful feathers which provide camouflage for prey.
2) Lifespan of average Owl is around 20 years.
3) Owls lay 3 to 4 eggs which are white in colour and round in shape.
4) Owls are carnivorous in nature and their diet includes rodents, small mammals, fish, birds, and insects.
5) There are about 200 species of Owls out of which 190 species are known as true Owls and 10 species are barn Owls which have heart shape face. The colour, size and shape may vary for true Owls.
6) Owls fly silently as they have the very soft feathers which in turn help them in hunting the prey.
7) The Owls have farsightedness which means objects which are closer to their eyes aren’t visible.
8) Owls eat rodents hence they are the natural pest controller which helps in agriculture.
9) Sometimes owls eat other owl and they can swallow their prey entirely including skin bones.
10) Just like other birds, crows and peacocks, owls also have symbolic meaning in ancient culture. They are considered to be the symbols of death and evil.
10 Lines and Sentences on Owls
1) Owls have the ability to rotate the head all the way round which is approximately around 270 degrees.
2) Owls have round shaped eyes similar to tube in shape which almost accounts for 1 to 5 percent of Owls body weight.
3) Female owls are comparatively larger than male owls.
4) Owls use their asymmetrical ears in hunting the prey from various dimensions. They can utilize their eyes and ears to aim and attack the prey in effective manner.
5) Owls make very different types of noise like hooting, whistles, growls and when threatened to life it would produce hissing sound.
6) Very interesting fact about the barn owl, they have the capacity to eat 1000 mice in a year.
7) Owls do not build nests of their own; they use the nests or cavities in the trees of other birds.
8) Owls don’t have the teeth like other birds that is why they swallow entire prey.
9) 33% of the entire owls species are either endangered or at risk of extinction.
10) Owls played very important role in “Harry Potter” series of movies quite popular among children. There were seven different owls played the role of Hedwig in various parts of the movies.
5 Lines on Owls
1) An Owl is a bird.
2) It can see at night.
3) Owl sleep during the day.
4) They are carnivores.
5) Life span of an owl is up to 20 years.
20 Lines on Owls
1) The owl is an intelligent bird with the capability of peaceful flight.
2) Owl has the potential of moving its flexible neck by 270 degrees.
3) It can observe the three-dimensional image of any object on earth.
4) Owl has an excellent hearing sense that facilitates it in hunting.
5) It can see both during day and night but its day vision is blurred.
6) It is a nocturnal bird and is active during night hours.
7) Owl does not chew its food instead it swallows it as a whole.
8) Female owls can easily be distinguished from males as they are larger body sizes.
9) The figure of owls in ancient paintings and old sculptures exhibit their cultural importance from ancient times.
10) Owls are symbolized as a sign of bad luck or ill omen in many countries of the world.
11) Owl is a bird having a scary appearance and belongs to the order Strigiformes.
12) They inhabit every region in this world except Antarctica.
13) A large broad head, forward-facing big eyes, curved bill, sharp feathers are the body features of an owl.
14) The owl is a carnivore and preys on small insects, rodents, and small birds.
15) True owl and barn owl are the two types of owl families.
16) The average lifespan of an owl is about 30 years.
17) Owl lives in families or groups and that is called 'Parliament'.
18) The color of the plumage of an owl helps it in defense mechanism from its enemies.
19) The young ones of an owl are called an owlet.
20) Owl is of great religious importance in Hinduism as it is the vehicle of Goddess Lakshmi.
The above facts which include their unique features prove that Owls as creatures are the most enigmatic and mysterious birds around the globe. The burning issue in today’s scenario is most of the species of Owls (220 in numbers) are either endangered or are going to extinct due to various reasons. The major reasons which are disturbing the habitat of owl species are pollution and poaching.
In order to protect the habitat of owls, the government across the globe should have stringent laws like the United States for example no individuals can have owls as their pets. Hunting and poaching activities should be considered illegal and the strictest punishment for the individuals not complying with the law.