Motilal Nehru was one of the freedom fighters of India. He was not only a freedom fighter but also a social activist, a noted lawyer and a prominent leader of the Indian National Congress. He was the president of the Indian National Congress twice, viz. at Amritsar in 1919 and at Calcutta in 1928.
Motilal Nehru was very close to Gandhiji and he took part in every movement which was started by him like a non-cooperation movement. Before joining the Indian National Congress, Motilal Nehru was a noted lawyer and was considered as best in his town. He was the father of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister after independence.
Ten Lines on Motilal Nehru
1) Motilal Nehru was a social reformer and revolutionary activist of Indian independence.
2) He was the father of the first Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
3) He was one of the important leaders of the Indian National Congress.
4) Motilal Nehru was born on 6th May 1827, New Delhi in a Kashmiri Brahmin family.
5) He qualified ‘Bar at Law’ from the University of Cambridge for a barrister.
6) Motilal cleared the lawyer examination in 1883 and started practicing in Kanpur.
7) He became the president of the congress party twice, in 1919 and in 1928.
8) During Motilal’s tenure, the resolution of self-government was passed in December 1916.
9) In his tenure only, the moderates and the extremists became united.
10) Motilal Nehru died on 6th February 1931 in Lucknow, due to deteriorating health.
1) Motilal Nehru or ‘Pandit Motilal Nehru’ was an Indian social and political activist, a noted lawyer and a freedom fighter of the Indian independence struggle.
2) He was the first person from whom the Nehru-Gandhi family started.
3) Motilal was born in Agra in a Kashmiri Brahmin family to parents ‘Gangadhar Nehru’ and ‘Indrani’ or ‘Janurani’.
4) He cleared his matriculation exam from Kanpur and went to ‘Muir Central College” in Allahabad and received western style college education.
5) After completing the law studies, Motilal Nehru came to Allahabad and started his legal services and became a successful lawyer.
6) He joined Indian National Congress and became the president of the party twice, first in 1919 and second in 1928.
7) Motilal Nehru was very close to Gandhiji and he actively took part in every movement started by him.
8) After the congress, Motilal joined the ‘Swaraj Party’ and was selected from United Province Legislative Council as a representative of the party.
9) He also chaired the Nehru Commission in 1928 to counter the British based Simon Commission and published the Nehru report.
10) Motilal Nehru is remembered for being the founding member of the Nehru-Gandhi family who ruled the nation up to many years.
1) Motilal Nehru was a prominent freedom fighter.
2) He was one of the smartest lawyers in the country before independence.
3) He played an important role in the Congress and was also elected President of the Congress twice.
4) Motilal Nehru was born on 22nd August 1861 at Delhi in a Kashmiri Brahmin family.
5) His father was Gangadhar and mother Jeeva Rani.
6) Motilal Nehru’s father died before Motilal’s birth.
7) Motilal Nehru was raised by his elder brother Nandlal, who was a general counsel in Allahabad.
8) Motilal Nehru was one of the first young generations in India to receive a ‘ Western-style ‘ college education.
9) He started his career as a lawyer in Kanpur in 1883.
10) He bought a big house in Allahabad’s Civil Lines which is known as Anand Bhawan.
1) Motilal Nehru was an Indian lawyer, activist of the Indian National Campaign and an active leader of the Indian National Congress.
2) He served as President of the Congress from 1919–1920 and 1928–1929.
3) He earned the title “Bar at Law” from Cambridge and began work as a lawyer in the English courts.
4) Motilal Nehru’s wife’s name was Swaroop Rani.
5) The only son of Motilal Nehru was Jawaharlal Nehru.
6) His elder daughter was named Vijayalakshmi, who later became famous as Vijayalakshmi Pandit.
7) In 1919, at the behest of Mahatma Gandhi, he started being active in politics, due to which he started spending more and more time with Gandhiji.
8) In 1923, he separated himself from the Congress party with Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das and established Swaraj Party.
9) He also became the Chairman of the Constitution Commission of India established by the Congress in 1928.
10) He died on 6th February 1931 due to old age and prolonged illness.
Motilal Nehru was not only a lawyer, but he was a political activist also. He always advocated for the swaraj or self-rule in India. Later on, he started advocating about full independence to India and rejected the option of dominion status to India which the Britishers wanted to grant. He was the founder patriarch of the famous Nehru-Gandhi family who was involved in giving Prime Minister of India for the maximum time and worked for the growth and development of the country.