Earthworms belong to the category of invertebrate animals with more than 4000 species worldwide. The scientific name of the earthworm is “Lumbricina”. The natural habitat of earthworm includes tropical forests, mountains, grassland except the region with extreme temperatures like deserts and Antarctica. Earthworms are basically tube-sized creatures which are found in fresh moist soil of different types.
Earthworms might look very small creatures (6 to 7 cm long) but actually they do multiple things eat, breathe, reproduce and help plants to grow by providing them nutrient rich source. Actually, they eat lot of organic materials like decaying plants and animals.
We know that many people across the globe consider earthworm gross because of their looks but in reality they are quite helpful for the environment. Earthworms are considered to be very environmental friendly because of their unique ability of making soil a highly fertile one and healthy. Let’s find below some of the interesting facts which I am sure would enhance your knowledge and make your understanding better about the earthworm as an amazing species.
Ten Lines on Earthworm in English
We have provided ten lines on Earthworms in English for enhancing your knowledge of the Earthworms as one of the most helpful creature for the human civilization on this planet earth. Further you can add these 10 points in your essay and paragraph writing in the class or any competition or in any exam.
10 Lines on Earthworm - 1
- Earthworms can be further classified in to two groups big worms (megadriles) and small worms (microdriles) with varying size and weight.
- Length of fully grown earthworm can be 0.39 inches however there are earthworms with 14 inches in Southeast Asia (tropical region).
- Average weight of the earthworm can be in the range of 0.5-1 pound.
- Lifespan of average earthworm is 4 years. However they can survive up to 8 years in ideal condition meaning no predators and favourable soil condition (not too dry and not too wet).
- Although majority of the earthworms are hermaphrodites, but they basically need partner to reproduce. The number of fertilized eggs produced by the earthworm could be around 80 in a year.
- The baby earthworms could take almost 55 weeks to be a fully grown up adult.
- Earthworms remain underground for most of the period and they create and build complex networks in soil that enhances its fertility.
- There are many predators of earthworm including toads, frogs, snakes, birds etc. Even humans too eat earthworms in some part of the world.
- Fossils of the earthworms in the mountains prove the fact that their evolution might have happened 580 million years ago.
- Earthworms can generally double its numbers in very quick span of time in given area.
We have provided another set of 10 lines on Earthworms (facts about Earthworms) so that you can use these knowledgeable and usefullines in your assignment, speech, presentation or any other competition in your school. Parents can use these points for their kids and children because the language used here is very easy and simple to comprehend.
10 Lines on Earthworm - 2
- Earthworms have very typical features like they don’t have any respiratory organ and can breathe through skin.
- Earthworms have the ability to regenerate the injured parts of the body.
- An adult earthworm can have 4 to 5 hearts.
- Earthworms can form tunnel and dig up to 7 feet under the surface of soil which prevents the soil erosion.
- Colour of the earthworms may vary from species to species. Most of the species of earthworms across the globe are reddish brown or grey in colour.
- Exposure of too much of heat and light might kill the earthworm.
- Among the many predators of the earthworms mole is its biggest threat as mole can eat 40 earthworms in a day.
- Earthworms unlike other species can eat soil and can bring about 7 kg of soil to the surface each year which in turn helps plants to grow.
- Many farmers across the globe use insecticides and pesticides which has potential to kill earthworms in large numbers.
- Megadriles crawl at greater speed compared to smaller worms by taking longer strides and with better muscular contractions.
After going through the above facts and figures about earthworms, one can easily say that they are the most beneficial creatures of the planet earth. Earthworms have got many biological, chemical as well as physical benefits. The physical creation of complex network below the ground, chemical digestion of organic materials can provide lot of nutritional values to the fertile agriculture land. Earthworms also play very important role in the economy. They are traded all across the globe for various reasons like as a food for human consumption, decomposing the waste useful in farming etc.