The phrase “Cleanliness is Next to Godliness” was given by John Wesley in the year 1778 in his sermon in the church, but this idea is very old and it can be found in Hebrew and Babylonian religious texts. Cleanliness has a vital role in the life of each and every person. It is related with our personal health and hygiene such as washing hands and legs before meals, taking bath and brushing teeth daily etc. In order to clean our body and surroundings we use different things like shampoo, soap, detergent, cleaner, brush and toothpaste etc.
The basic meaning of this phrase is that if a person keeps himself neat and clean then he will remain healthy and no disease will affect him. It will help him to live happily with performing his tasks in a better way.
Ten Lines on Cleanliness is Next to Godliness in English
We have provided ten lines on cleanliness is next to godliness in English. After reading these lines you will know that who gave this phrase, what does it mean, for which two things stress on cleanliness is given, cleanliness is a part of which country’s tradition, what are some basic steps to clean ourselves, why keeping ourselves clean is so important etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competitions. These lines will help you to write speech on cleanliness and 10 points on cleanliness for class 1, class 2, class 3 and class 4. You can also take the help of these lines in writing cleanliness paragraph or importance of cleanliness in points:
10 Lines on Cleanliness is Next to Godliness – Set 1
1) “Cleanliness is Next to Godliness” is a phrase which was coined by “John Wesley” in 1778.
2) It means that we must keep ourselves clean because it gives goodness to our souls.
3) This phrase showcases the importance of cleanliness for a healthy life.
4) Cleanliness not only means cleaning of our body but it also emphasizes on cleanliness of thoughts.
5) In Indian tradition, cleanliness is an integral part of the lifestyle and every ritual or celebration is incomplete without cleanliness.
6) The importance of cleanliness is taught from our childhood by our parents and teachers.
7) Brushing our teeth and bathing daily is the first process to clean ourselves.
8) Washing hands before having meals is the best habit which saves us from various diseases.
9) Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is one of the best initiatives taken by the government to make India a clean country.
10) Cleanliness not only helps us to keep healthy but it is also a sign of purity and goodness.
We have provided another set of ten lines on cleanliness is next to godliness. After going through these lines, you will know about what is related with achieving cleanliness, what does proverb cleanliness is next to godliness signifies, what are the steps of physical cleaning, with what activities mental cleaning is associated, why cleanliness is important to a country, how a country can achieve development through cleanliness etc.
10 Lines on Cleanliness is Next to Godliness – Set 2
1) Cleanliness is next to godliness directs us to adopt good habits of cleaning to achieve good health.
2) The proverb “Health is Wealth” is closely associated with cleanliness is next to godliness.
3) It is believed that a healthy mind lives in a healthy body and healthy body could only be achieved through cleanliness.
4) Cleanliness protects us from various diseases like cholera, dysentery etc which may sometimes prove fatal.
5) Physical cleaning can be gained by washing our hands, legs, daily bathing, brushing our teeth, taking fresh and hygienic food etc.
6) Mental cleaning can be achieved through meditation, yoga, satsang and reading good books etc.
7) Cleanliness spreads from an individual to the society and from society to entire country.
8) If any country has to achieve its godliness i.e. development, then first it must adopt cleanliness.
9) By cleaning its roads, streets, localities, villages etc, a country can take its first step towards development.
10) Cleanliness is not only government’s responsibility but people should also put their efforts to keep our country clean and beautiful.
We are providing below a 3rd Set on Cleanliness is next to Godliness in English. After going through these 10 Lines you will know the exact meaning of the phrase “cleanliness is next to Godliness”, what does the phrase refers to, when was the phrase originated, what connection does the phrase draws with God, When and why did Mahatma Gandhi used the phrase, what connection does the phrase “Cleanliness is next to Godliness” has with religion or religious procedures etc.
10 Lines on Cleanliness is Next to Godliness – Set 3
1) The phrase strongly emphasizes on maintaining neatness and personal hygiene.
2) In a broader perspective, some believe that the phrase refers to both cleanliness of body and mind.
3) The origin of phrase dates back to ancient times, even found in Hebrew religious documents.
4) It can be construed that if your mind as well as your body is clean, you become equivalent to God.
5) In other words, it would be impossible to achieve godliness without a clean body and soul.
6) The phrase was repeatedly used by Mahatma Gandhi in his speeches.
7) The phrase also suggests that a clean soul can only reside in a clean body.
8) In other words, it also suggests that cleanliness is the fundamental prerequisite for any religious reverence.
9) Being clean is symbolic of a clean and kind heart and a noble soul.
10) It also emphasizes that ritualistic cleansing is fundamental to many religious procedures.
Below we are providing a 4th set of 10 Lines on Cleanliness is next to godliness. After reading the 10 Lines you will know the purpose for which the phrase encourages people, what was Mahatma Gandhi’s opinion about the phrase, what types of cleanings does the phrase emphasizes on, when can a person be considered equivalent to God, what else does cleanliness symbolizes and how significant is cleanliness in life etc.
10 Lines on Cleanliness is Next to Godliness – Set 4
1) The phrase “Cleanliness is next to Godliness” encourages people to maintain neatness and personal hygiene at all cost.
2) Mahatma Gandhi opined that, only when both of our body as well as mind is clean that it could be considered next to godliness.
3) The phrase emphasizes that spiritual cleaning as well as a clean body is essential for someone to achieve godliness.
4) In the other words- a person with clean soul and body can be considered equal to God.
5) Cleanliness is next to Godliness means that having a clean body and clean mind is a godly act.
6) Mahatma Gandhi used the phrase to encourage people for cleanliness of thoughts and body.
7) The phrase spares one from cleanliness of apparels; nevertheless, it us a duty to stay neat and clean from inside and in appearance.
8) Only someone with a clean mind and soul will achieve godliness, either religiously or through self introspection.
9) Cleanliness is also a symbol of good health and a better hygiene, leading to prosperity.
10) Without cleanliness one would be bogged down with disease and infections making godliness impossible to achieve.
It is considered that people who maintain cleanliness are more protected from the diseases. Cleanliness brings us good health whereas dirtiness brings diseases and illness. We can see that a person who is healthy will always perform better than a person who is ill. The importance of cleanliness for the society has lead to the “Swachh Bharat” campaign which was launched by the Prime Minister of India, on 2nd October 2014, to bring cleanliness and make our country neat, clean, beautiful and healthy.