Shahuji Maharaj was not only king (Raja) but also a social reformer. He was impressed by two social reformers, Jyotirao Phule and Gopal Ganesh Agarkar. He had taken several steps for the upliftment of Dalits (lower caste). Shahuji possess well-build personality, he was very humble and down to earth. He was very bold and had taken several challenging decisions in his life.
Ten Lines on Shahu of Kolhapur in English
Here we are providing ten simple lines on Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj in form of sets which will give you complete information about him in very easy language.
1) Shahuji, also known as Chhatrapati Rajarshi Shahu.
2) He belongs to Bhosle dynasty of Marathas.
3) He was the first Maharaja of Kolhapur (city in Maharashtra).
4) He was born on 26 June 1874, Friday in Kagal village of Kolhapur.
5) His original name was Yeshwantrao.
6) His father was Jaisingrao and mother was Radhabai.
7) His father was village chief and his mother belong to Royal family.
8) He was married to Laxmibai Khanwilkar on 1 April 1891.
9) He was keenly interested in Wrestling.
10) Shahu ji died at an early age of 47 on 6 May 1922, Wednesday in Bombay.
1) Shahu ji ruled Kolhapur for 28 years, from 1894 to 1922.
2) Shahu ji lost his mother at the age of 3.
3) Later he was adopted by Queen Anandibai, widow of King Shivaji IV, of Kolhapur.
4) Shahu ji had four children, two daughters and two sons.
5) Shahuji had organized free primary education to all castes in Kolhapur.
6) He put efforts to remove caste system, untouchability and child marriage.
7) He established reservation system, which means providing advantages to the backward group of society.
8) Shahu ji promoted widow remarriage and also removed “Devadasi” (servant of God) pratha.
9) Shahu ji met Dr. Ambedkar many times between 1917-1921, and was impressed by his work towards lower caste.
10) He constructed “Radhanagari” dam on 18 February 1907 in Kolhapur.
Shahuji was entitled with “Rajarshi” (royal saint) by Kurmi Kshatriya community, due to his huge contribution towards social, economic, educational as well as cultural activities.
He was honored with several awards and titles. A statue of Shahuji Maharaj has been set up in the Parliament on 17 February 2009. Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University of Kanpur is renamed after him.
FAQs: Frequently asked questions
Ans. Shahuji Maharaj Jayanti is celebrated on 26 June every year.
Ans. Rajaram II (son of Shahu Maharaj), was the next king of Kolhapur.