Bears are the mammals belonging to the category of “Carnivora” which also include wolf, lions, tigers, leopards and other 280 species. Bears have presence all across the globe including even Antarctica. The scientific family name of the bear is “Ursidae”. Bears are known for their exceptional intelligence, remarkable memory and excellent navigation skills. Unlike other mammals bears are not very social in nature and prefer to live alone.
Ten Lines on Bear
1) There are many species of bears in the world including Polar Bear, Pizzly and Cave Bears, etc.
2) Mother Bears are very sensitive and caring to their cubs.
3) Lifespan of a bear may vary from species to species. Giant panda can live up to 20 years; however, black bear has the lifespan of 30 to 34 years.
4) The female bear gives birth to 1 to 4 cubs and the surviving cubs would remain with the mother for 2 to 4 years.
5) Bears usually have fear of attacked by the tigers or human.
6) Polar bears are considered to have the warmest fur among all the species of bears across the globe which helps them to fight cold.
7) Bear’s fur and flesh are for what people kill them.
8) In many folk-fares, people treat Bears equal to God.
9) Bears have long, straight claws to climb and can run faster than humans.
10) Most of the species of Bears are on the verge of extinction.
1) Bears are considered to be very emotional animals. Cubs will start crying if they are separated from their mother bears.
2) Bears care for family members a lot and mother bears can risk their own life for saving cubs form danger.
3) Bears hibernate during winter. Bears at higher altitude get into the state of hibernation with reduced heart rates and metabolism due to scarcity of food.
4) Bears communicate through large vocal sounds like groans, roars, growls or barks.
5) Except for humans and tigers which usually attack only bear cubs; bears don’t have a threat from any natural predator.
6) Bears are dying due to hepatitis and many other infections because their bodies are susceptible to many parasites and pathogens.
7) Bears are hunted and poached for their meat and fur and also for entertainment.
8) In some mythologies like Korean and Chinese, the bear is worshipped as a symbol of the god.
9) Many popular cartoon characters are bears- like Winnie the Pooh, Yogi Bear.
10) Six bear species are the most vulnerable and endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
In today’s world, bears are facing constant threats from humans on their lives, because of the two major reasons- encroachment of wild habitats for farming and illegal trade of body parts like furs and meat after hunting or poaching. Bears are becoming more aggressive in poor rural areas and are coming directly in to conflict with the humans, sometimes attacking and causing injuries.
Many wild life conservation laws have been implemented all around the globe in order to protect the habitat of bears. Perception of people towards bears is also very friendly and positive as bears have symbolic meaning too in various cultures, but still a lot needs to be done in order to protect these most attractive and wonderful species of the planet earth.