Ob River flows in the parts of central Russia and it is a major river of Asia. Ob is also the seventh longest river in the world. The river is formed by the confluence of Biya and Katun rivers which originate from Altay Mountains. Ob River flows only in Russia while its tributaries are extended to Kazakhstan, China and Mongolia.
The catchment area of Ob River is 2,975,000 sq. km and it is the sixth largest in the world.
The western portion of the Siberian plain covers approximately 85 percent of the total of the Ob basin and rest 15 percent is covered by terraced plains in Turgay in Kazakhstan.
The Ob River supports the population by providing them irrigation for agriculture, water for drinking and electricity through its hydro electric projects. It also acts as a home for around 50 species of fish.
Ten Lines on Ob River in English
We have provided ten lines on Ob River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Ob River, which is the seventh longest river of the earth, through which rivers confluence Ob River is formed, from where the Ob River originates, what is the length and catchment area of Ob River, which are the tributaries of Ob River, which city is situated on the banks of Ob River etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competitions. It will support your essays on Ob River as well as related topics like Ob River facts, Ob River tributaries, Ob River length, Ob River discharge or few lines on Ob River.
10 Lines on Ob River – Set 1
1) The Ob River is one of the major rivers which flow in western Siberia, Russia.
2) It is the seventh longest river in the world and flows through central Russia.
3) Ob is formed by the combination of Biya and Katun rivers in Altay Mountains.
4) It originates from 25 km south-west of Biysk in Altai Krai located in Russia.
5) Ob River gets divided into two small rivers after joining the large Irtysh tributaries.
6) The river moves zigzag to the west and north where it finally drains into the Gulf of Ob.
7) The length of Ob River is 3650 km with the catchment area of 2,975,000 sq. km.
8) The Ob-Irtysh River System is the fourth longest river system in Asia.
9) Irtysh is the main tributary of Ob River other than Omsk, Parabel, Chaya, Tobol etc.
10) Novosibirsk is the Russia’s third largest city which is situated on the bank of Ob River.
We have provided another set of ten points on Ob River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will find that from where Ob River flows, what is the place of origin of Ob River, which two rivers conjoin to make one river, in which countries the tributaries of Ob River stretch, how many tributaries are in Ob River, which cities are located on the banks of Ob River, which rail route passes through Ob River etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Ob River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Ob River – Set 2
1) Ob River which flows in central Russia is one of the greatest rivers of Asia and one of the important rivers which flow in western Siberia.
2) It is formed 25 km in the south-west of Biysk in Altai Krai after the joining of Biya and Katun rivers which originate from Altay Mountains.
3) The Biya River originates from Lake Teletskoye whereas the Katun River having the length of 700 km originates from the glacier located in Mount Byelukha.
4) The flow of Ob River remains within Russia with its tributaries stretching up to Kazakhstan, China and Mongolia.
5) The West Siberian Plain covers about 85 percent of the Ob River basin, and rest is covered by the plains in Turgay in Kazakhstan.
6) More than 1900 rivers are located in the Ob River basin with the total length of approximately 180,000 km.
7) Ob River is surrounded with ice in southern Barnaul from early November to April end and at northern Salekhard from October end to the start of June.
8) Novosibirsk is the third largest city of Russia which is situated on the banks of Ob River; others are Barnaul, Kolpashevo, Surgut, Beryozovo and Salekhard.
9) The ‘Trans-Siberian Railways’, the longest railway of the world crosses the Irtysh tributary at Omsk located at the upper Ob at Novosibirsk.
10) The three main hydroelectric stations were built on Ob River, one at Novosibirsk, and the other two at Bukhtarma and Oskemen located at Irtysh River.
The Ob River provides irrigation, transportation, potable drinking water, hydroelectricity as well as fishing. There are several hydroelectric power plants which are installed on Ob River. The largest is the Novosibirskaya with the capacity of 460 MW. The longest railway route of the world, the Trans-Siberian Railway network also crosses the Ob River. More than 1900 tributaries are located on the river basin with the length of 180,000 km.