The emergency in India is considered to be the black phase in Indian Democracy. It was 21 months long and brought a lot of criticism to then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The emergency caused many happening including the imprisonment of journalists and opposition leaders. The then President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed gave his assent over the emergency on the eve of 24th June 1975.
The emergency led to the downfall of Indira Gandhi’s Govt. in 1977. There are 10 lines mentioned below to highlight some facts related to the 1975 Emergency.
Ten Lines on Emergency in India in English
1) Emergency in India commenced from 25th June 1975 and lasted till 21st March 1977.
2) The emergency lasted for about 21 months.
3) It was proposed by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
4) The emergency was a National Emergency.
5) The National Emergency comes under Article 352 of the Indian Constitution.
6) The emergency created political unrest in the whole country.
7) Many journalists and leaders were sent to jail by the Government of India.
8) Under the emergency all the fundamental rights are snatched except the right to live.
9) The emergency saw the rise of leaders Morarji Desai, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, etc.
10) During the emergency many new laws were enacted illegally.
1) Before the 1975 Emergency, India had 2 emergencies in the past in the year 1962 and 1971.
2) The emergency was opposed by a large section of the society but was supported by many people.
3) Indian constitution gives the provisions of 3 types of emergency, national, financial and state emergencies.
4) The national emergency comes under article 352 and state and financial falls under article 356 and 360 respectively.
5) The emergency resulted in the downfall of Indira Gandhi and saw Morarji Desai as the new Prime Minister of India.
6) The time was tough where sterilization and enforcements took place.
7) Raj Narain who fought against Indira Gandhi in the 1971 LS Elections filed a case of Election Fraud.
8) Following the case, the Allahabad High Court cross-examined Indira Gandhi.
9) The emergency was enacted by the excuse of war against Pakistan and can lead to unrest situation in the country.
10) After the uplifting of the Emergency in 1977, elections were conducted.
The emergency saw a phase that will remain a dark side on Indian democracy. Being the largest democracy in the world, India will always try to hide the stains that it got in that time. Many historians and leaders who are alive today recall of whatever happened in India. The emergency holds black truths that will affect Congress every time.