Democracy can be simply said as government of the people, for the people and by the people. In democracy people are supreme and the power vests in the hands of people. Our system of government is of 5 years period. Whether in centre or state, elections are held on every 5 years in which the people of India vote; by pressing their fingers on EVMs they chose their candidates and form their favourite party’s government.
Here the leader acts as the elected representative of the people of his constituency, means that no leader should consider himself as the king. Democracy might be a new form of ruling in the world but it is an old concept in India, the Vaishali district in Bihar is considered as the place where democracy began its journey, it is a cradle of democracy.
Ten Lines on Democracy in English
We are giving 10 lines on democracy in English, by which you will be able to acquire the knowledge about democracy. You can add these lines in your essay and paragraph in your exams or in any literary event especially on the occasion of “Republic Day”.
10 Lines on Democracy – Set 1
1) Rule of the people is the meaning of democracy, people are considered here as supreme.
2) It is made up of two words “Demos” means “Common People” and “Kratos” means “Strength”.
3) In direct democracy, people gather at one place, meetings and discussions go on to decide about new laws and amendments in present ones.
4) In representative democracy, people choose their representatives through elections. Those representatives take decision in law making process.
5) In India there is representative democracy, as people choose their representatives through elections whether in centre or in state.
6) India follows universal adult suffrage, as it is a secular nation where irrespective of the caste, sex, religion, race etc people have the right to vote.
7) The “United States of America” is the world’s oldest democracy and “India” is the world’s largest democracy.
8) In direct democracy, each and every people has the right to make laws together on any subject, this is done through referendum.
9) Legal equality, political freedom and rule of law are the main components of a true and successful democracy.
10) India has a multilayer of democracy with 73rd and 74th constitutional amendment in 1992 giving powers to “Panchayats” and “Municipalities”.
We are providing another set of 10 lines on democracy so that you could know the importance of India being a democratic country. You can add these lines in your speech and presentation in your competitions and seminars in schools and colleges.
10 Lines on Democracy – Set 2
1) In democracy people are governed by those representatives, whom they elect by casting their vote.
2) It permeates from macro to micro level i.e. from centre to state and after state it divides into panchayats in villages and municipalities in cities.
3) Democracy protects the fundamental rights and freedom of voters of India.
4) Democracy is best complimented with secularism as irrespective of caste, religion, sex, creed, ethnicity, people exercise their vote.
5) It is not possible for the people to participate directly in the government, that’s why representatives are chosen on behalf of them.
6) Democracy is the best form of government which ensures political, economic and social justice to each individual.
7) Democracy has the power of adaptability, i.e. it can change itself with the passage of time, it is contemporary in nature.
8) To safeguard, spread and strengthen the roots of democracy, world observes “International Day of Democracy” on 15th September, declared by UN.
9) Human rights, values and democracy are complimentary to each other, as human rights flourishes under the aegis of democracy.
10) To protect democracy in its original form, law and order administration has to be perfect in order to punish those who violate the norms of democracy.
Please also find below an additional set of 10 sentences on Democracy which is written in a very simple language, easy to comprehend and can be helpful to you in exams, quizzes, and debates and also in group discussions, speeches, paragraphs, articles, essays etc.
10 Lines on Democracy – Set 3
1) Democracy educates people about their fundamental rights and duties as a citizen of nation.
2) It gives the power in the hands of its citizen to choose its leaders to run the country’s administration and work for its development.
3) Democracy encourages intelligent and literate people to take up the challenging roles in society.
4) It provides the freedom of expression so that a citizen can freely voice its opinion on any platform.
5) Democracy helps in providing equal distribution of resources to every citizen irrespective of its caste, creed or gender.
6) Democracy ensures the fair justice to weaker section of the society.
7) It ensures the impartial and fair election of the candidate for the political role in nation.
8) Democracy helps in forming the responsible opposition in the parliament of sovereign state like India and United States.
9) It plays a vital role in country’s social, economical and cultural development of the world’s largest democracy like India.
10) Democracy ensures the smooth functioning of government and helps in monitoring the work of elected representatives in the sovereign state.
In this present world there are different types of government mainly theocratic, dictatorship, rule of a kingdom, etc. Among these, democratic form of government is considered best where people have the participation in law making and forming the government. Democracy is not obsolete unlike other forms of government; it keeps on changing itself with time. Democracy brings reforms for the wellness in the society and its people by giving social, economic and political justice to them.