Mahanadi River is a perennial river which flows in central and eastern India. It starts from Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh and flows up to Cuttack in Orissa and finally falls into Bay of Bengal. It is very important river for the people of Chhattisgarh and Orissa as it is favourable for irrigation, agriculture as well as transportation.
Mahanadi is one of the rivers in the Indian subcontinent with active silt depositing streams.
The name of River is made up of two words, ‘Maha’ which means great and 'Nadi' means river symbolizing it as a great river.
It supports several irrigation canals mainly near Cuttack and Puri districts and acts as a major source of irrigation for agriculture in the area. The water is best suited for the crops in the region and helps to increase the overall production in the states.
Ten Lines on Mahanadi River in English
We have provided ten lines on Mahanadi River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Mahanadi River, through which states Mahanadi River flows, what is the length and coverage area of Mahanadi River, what is the origin of Mahanadi River, at which place Mahanadi River meets ocean, what are the major tributaries of Mahanadi River, which cities are located near Mahanadi River etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on Mahanadi River as well as related topics like Mahanadi River origin, Mahanadi flows through which states, features of Mahanadi River, few lines on Mahanadi River, Mahanadi River facts etc.
10 Lines on Mahanadi River – Set 1
1) Mahanadi is the one of the major rivers which flows in central as well in eastern India.
2) It is an inter-state river which flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Orissa.
3) The length of Mahanadi River is 858 km with the coverage area of 141,600 square km.
4) Mahanadi River originates from Pharsia village in Dhamtari district in Chhattisgarh.
5) At first, Mahanadi River flows in northern direction and enters into Raipur district.
6) After receiving the waters from Seonath River, it turns to the east and enters into Orissa.
7) At Sambalpur district in Orissa, Mahanadi River forms a man-made lake which is 35 km in length.
8) Flowing through the east, Mahanadi River enters Cuttack and drains into Bay of Bengal.
9) The major tributaries of Mahanadi River are Seonath, Jonk, Hasdo, Mand, Ib, Ong etc.
10) Cuttack and Sambalpur are two prominent cities which are located on Mahanadi basin.
We have provided another set of ten points on Mahanadi River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will find that with which combination of words Mahanadi River is derived, from where Mahanadi River starts flowing, which estuary Mahanadi River produces, what is the area of Mahanadi River basin, which hydroelectric and irrigation project is running on Mahanadi River, which industries are working on Mahanadi basin etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Mahanadi River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Mahanadi River – Set 2
1) Mahanadi is a major river in the central as well as in eastern India which flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Orissa.
2) Mahanadi River is surrounded by the Central India hills in the north, Eastern Ghats in the south and east and the Maikala range in the west.
3) It is one of the major rivers of the country in terms of water potential and comes second after Godavari River.
4) The plains of Mahanadi are very fertile and are highly suitable for rice cultivation.
5) It is believed that Mahanadi River originates from Pharasiya village, 442 above the sea level which is south of the Sihawa town in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh.
6) After joining the Seonath River, Mahanadi flows in the east direction and is joined by Hasdeo and Jonk rivers before entering in Orissa after travelling half of its length.
7) Mahanadi River enters into Cuttack and produces a large distributary called Kathjori and both finally fall into Bay of Bengal.
8) Mahanadi basin extends up to an area of 141,589 square km which is approximately 4.3% of total area covering MP, Bihar, Maharashtra and Orissa.
9) Hirakud Dam, Mahanadi Delta Project, Hasdeo Bango, Mahanadi Reservoir Project are some of the major irrigation and hydroelectric projects running on Mahanadi River.
10) The important industries which are located on the Mahanadi basin are iron and steel plant in Bhilai and Chhattisgarh and aluminium factories at Hirakud and Korba etc.
Several irrigation and hydroelectric projects are running on either Mahanadi River or on its basin. Hirakud Dam, Mahanadi Delta Project, Hasdeo Bango are some of these projects which are currently operational on Mahanadi River. Several industrial units are also running with increased production on the basin of Mahanadi. These industries are iron and steel plant in Bhilai and Chhattisgarh as well as aluminium industry in Korba and Hirakud etc.