Mahanadi River is a perennial river that flows in central and eastern India. It starts from Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh and flows up to Cuttack in Orissa and finally falls into Bay of Bengal. It is very important river for the people of Chhattisgarh and Orissa as it is favourable for irrigation, agriculture as well as transportation. Mahanadi is one of the rivers in the Indian subcontinent with active silt depositing streams.
The name of River is made up of two words, ‘Maha’ which means great and ‘Nadi’ means river symbolizing it as a great river. It supports several irrigation canals mainly near Cuttack and Puri districts and acts as a major source of irrigation for agriculture in the area. The water is best suited for the crops in the region and helps to increase the overall production in the states.
Ten Lines on Mahanadi River in English
10 Lines on Mahanadi River
1) Mahanadi is one of the major rivers which flows in central as well in eastern India.
2) It is an inter-state river that flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Orissa.
3) The length of Mahanadi River is 858 km with a coverage area of 141,600 square km.
4) Mahanadi River originates from Pharsia village in Dhamtari district in Chhattisgarh.
5) At first, Mahanadi River flows in northern direction and enters into Raipur district.
6) After receiving the waters from Seonath River, it turns to the east and enters into Orissa.
7) At Sambalpur district in Orissa, Mahanadi River forms a man-made lake that is 35 km in length.
8) Flowing through the east, Mahanadi River enters Cuttack and drains into Bay of Bengal.
9) The major tributaries of Mahanadi River are Seonath, Jonk, Hasdo, Mand, Ib, Ong etc.
10) Cuttack and Sambalpur are two prominent cities which are located on Mahanadi basin.
10 Lines and Sentences on Mahanadi River
1) Mahanadi River emerges from Central India.
2) It flows through the Chhattisgarh and Odisha states of India.
3) Mahanadi River traces its major course in Chhattisgarh state.
4) The area of the river basin of the Mahanadi River is 858 km.
5) Mahanadi is 858 km in length.
6) Sihawa town in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh is the originating place of the Mahanadi River.
7) Seonath, Mand, Hasado are the left bank tributaries of the Mahanadi river.
8) Ong, Parry, Jonk, and Telen are the right bank tributaries of the Mahanadi River.
9) The confluence of Mahanadi, its tributaries, and Brahmani forms India’s largest delta.
10) Mahanadi River terminates into the Bay of Bengal at False point.
5 Lines on Mahanadi River
1) It is the major river of East Central India.
2) Its length is about 900 km.
3) It is also famous for Hirakud Dam.
4) It covers the states of Orissa and Chattisgarh.
5) It merges in the Bay of Bengal at last.
20 Lines on Mahanadi River
1) Mahanadi is an important river of Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
2) Two Sanskrit words ‘Maha’ and ‘Nadi’ give rise to the name Mahanadi River.
3) The ancient name of the Mahanadi River was Kanaknandini.
4) Mahanadi River was spelt as Chitrotpala in Dvapara Yuga.
5) Nilotpala was the name of the Mahanadi River in Treta Yuga.
6) The Mahanadi River was called as Mahananda in Mahabharata era.
7) Hirakund Dam that is stated the longest Dam in India is built on this river.
8) The river water is utilized for irrigation purposes and power production.
9) Mahanadi was referred to as ‘Sorrow of Orissa’ before the construction of the Hirakund dam.
10) It was called so because of causing flood that resulted in destructing the livelihood of people.
11) Mahanadi is a major river in the center as well as in eastern India which flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Orissa.
12) Mahanadi River is surrounded by the Central India hills in the north, Eastern Ghats in the south and east and the Maikala range in the west.
13) It is one of the major rivers of the country in terms of water potential and comes second after Godavari River.
14) The plains of Mahanadi are very fertile and are highly suitable for rice cultivation.
15) It is believed that Mahanadi River originates from Pharasiya village, 442 above the sea level which is south of the Sihawa town in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh.
16) After joining the Seonath River, Mahanadi flows in the east direction and is joined by Hasdeo and Jonk rivers before entering in Orissa after travelling half of its length.
17) Mahanadi River enters into Cuttack and produces a large distributary called Kathjori and both finally fall into Bay of Bengal.
18) Mahanadi basin extends up to an area of 141,589 square km which is approximately 4.3% of total area covering MP, Bihar, Maharashtra and Orissa.
19) Hirakud Dam, Mahanadi Delta Project, Hasdeo Bango, Mahanadi Reservoir Project are some of the major irrigation and hydroelectric projects running on Mahanadi River.
20) The important industries which are located on the Mahanadi basin are iron and steel plant in Bhilai and Chhattisgarh and aluminium factories at Hirakud and Korba etc.
Several irrigation and hydroelectric projects are running on either Mahanadi River or on its basin. Hirakud Dam, Mahanadi Delta Project, Hasdeo Bango are some of these projects which are currently operational on Mahanadi River. Several industrial units are also running with increased production on the basin of Mahanadi. These industries are iron and steel plant in Bhilai and Chhattisgarh as well as aluminium industry in Korba and Hirakud etc.