Betwa River is a perennial river which originates in Madhya Pradesh and flows up to Uttar Pradesh before merging in River Yamuna as it is the tributary of the river. Betwa River is an ancient river as the information regarding this river is also mentioned in the epic Mahabharata.
On the confluence of Yamuna and Betwa, Hamirpur district comes into existence which is situated in Uttar Pradesh.
Indian Navy has given the name ‘INS Betwa’ to one of its guided missile frigates based on the river name as a mark of respect.
There are various dams and irrigation projects which are operated on the Betwa River and it is also the part of river linking project.
Ten Lines on Betwa River in English
We have provided ten lines on Betwa River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Betwa River, from where Betwa River originates, in which states Betwa River flows, what is the length of Betwa River, what is the coverage area of Betwa River, what distance of Betwa River lies in UP and MP, which city is located on the confluence of Betwa and Yamuna river, what name does Indian Navy has given to its warship.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on Betwa River as well as related topics like Betwa River origin, Betwa River length, few points on Betwa River, Betwa River facts etc.
10 Lines on Betwa River – Set 1
1) Betwa River is a north Indian river which flows in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
2) It originates from the north of Vindhya Range in Hoshangabad district in MP.
3) River Betwa flows to the north-east of Madhya Pradesh to Orchha in Uttar Pradesh.
4) After entering Uttar Pradesh, Betwa River empties itself into the River Yamuna.
5) The length of Betwa River is 573 km and coverage area is about 12620 square km.
6) 232 km of Betwa River lies in Madhya Pradesh and rest 358 km lies in Uttar Pradesh.
7) Approximately, half of the course of Betwa River is not navigable which is in Malwa Plateau.
8) The Jamni and Dhasan rivers are the main tributaries merging in Betwa River.
9) At the confluence of Yamuna and Betwa River, district Hamirpur is located in Uttar Pradesh.
10) The Indian Navy named one of its warships as ‘INS Betwa’ in the honour of the River.
We have provided another set of ten points on Betwa River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will find that what is the origin of Betwa River in Madhya Pradesh, what is the ancient name of Betwa River, when Betwa River board was established, what are the reasons for pollution in Betwa River, which two rivers are linked for a new project, which another project is launched on Betwa River etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Betwa River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Betwa River – Set 2
1) Betwa River is a tributary of River Yamuna which flows into the states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh and it is a perennial river.
2) The Betwa River originates from Jhiri village which is 50 km from Bhopal in the Vindhya mountain range from where the river starts its journey.
3) After flowing 216 km in Madhya Pradesh, the river enters in Uttar Pradesh and meets Yamuna River at Ghatampur near Hamirpur district in Uttar Pradesh.
4) In Sanskrit, Betwa River is known as “Vetrawati” and the river is also mentioned in the epic Mahabharata along with Charmanvati or Chambal River.
5) While complying with the inter-state agreement between the states of UP and MP, Betwa River board was constituted under Betwa River Board Act 1973.
6) Violation of environmental rules and regulations by the industries are main causes of Betwa River pollution.
7) Betwa River is mainly polluted due to the industrial and urban garbage from the districts of Mandideep, Bhopal, Vidisha and Raisen.
8) The river is being linked along with Ken River as a part of Ken-Betwa River linking project in Madhya Pradesh.
9) Another important project which is being carried out is the construction of ‘Matatila Dam’, a joint venture between Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
10) There are various dams which are constructed on Betwa River viz, Rajghat Dam, Matatila Dam, Parichha Dam and Dhurwara Dam which are located in UP and MP.
In recent years, rigorous violation of rules and regulation has led to pollution in Betwa River. The river is highly polluted in the areas of Mandideep, Bhopal, Vidisha and Raisen districts of Madhya Pradesh. These pollutants are mainly the industrial and hazardous garbage which is affecting aquatic and as well as human life. The Betwa River is selected by the National River Conservation Plan (NRCP) for its cleaning and pollution control.