Amazon River is the major river in South America and in the world with the largest drainage system. The river flows through the tropical rainforest’s areas and especially in Brazil which has the maximum number of tropical rainforests.
There is a controversy about world’s longest river as some experts consider Amazon River as the world’s longest river whereas some believe Nile.
Amazon River is the habitat of all kinds of living being and holds several ecosystems within it. It is also a home to some of the world’s rare and most dangerous species.
The Amazon River discharges more water in comparison to eight largest rivers of the earth and it has the largest drainage system of the earth.
Ten Lines on Amazon River in English
We have provided ten lines on Amazon River in English for class 3, class 4, class 5 and class 6. After reading these lines you will know that what is Amazon River, which river holds maximum water in the earth, which country comes under maximum capacity of Amazon River, what is the length and catchment area of Amazon River, which city is located on Amazon River, how many tributaries does Amazon River has etc.
You can add these lines in your essays and paragraph writing in your exam as well as in the school competition. It will support your essays on Amazon River as well as related topics like Amazon River facts, Amazon River width, Amazon River basin, how long is Amazon River or few lines on Amazon River etc.
10 Lines on Amazon River – Set 1
1) Amazon River is the largest river of the world which flows in the South America.
2) It is the largest river of the world due to amount of volume of water it holds.
3) Amazon River flows through the tropical forests of South America, especially Brazil.
4) The length of Amazon River is 6400 km and its catchment area is 6,300,000 km2.
5) Amazon River originates in the Andes Mountains located at western South America.
6) It enters Brazil with one-fifth of the flow and then it drains in Atlantic Ocean.
7) The biggest city which is situated on the banks of Amazon River is the Manaus.
8) In city of Iquitos, the Amazon River divides into the Maranon and the Ucayali rivers.
9) Amazon River basin is the largest river basin of the world with the area of 7,050,000 km2.
10) The river has 1100 tributaries out of which 12 are of the size greater than 1500 km.
We have provided another set of ten points on Amazon River for class 9, class 10, class 11 and class 12. After going through these points, you will know as which is the world’s largest and longest river, what is the name of Amazon River in different languages, how much water flows from Amazon River in dry and wet season, which fish live in the waters of Amazon River, what is the upper and lower stream of Amazon River is called etc.
You can use these lines in your speeches and extempore in the school competitions. These lines will also increase your knowledge on Amazon River and it will also be very useful in your seminars as well as in your GK quiz competitions.
10 Lines on Amazon River – Set 2
1) The Amazon River in South America is the largest river of the world in terms of water flow and some time it is also considered as world’s longest river.
2) Amazon River which is also pronounced as ‘Rio Amazonas’ in Portuguese and Spanish languages is the lifeline of the biggest ecosystem of earth.
3) The Amazon River was originally explored in 16th century by the Europeans, especially by a Spanish explorer ‘Francisco de Orellana’.
4) In dry season, 110,000 sq. km is covered by Amazon River while during the wet season the area of Amazon River basin exceeds to 350,000 sq. km.
5) The quantity of freshwater discharged by the Amazon River into the Atlantic Ocean is huge which is up to 300,000 m2/sec in the rainy season.
6) In Peru, the upper main stream of Amazon comes down for joining the Ucayali River is called as Maranon and from there till Brazilian border it is known as Amazonas.
7) In Brazil, Amazon River which flows from Peru for joining the Negro River is known as Solimoes and from the Negro River till Atlantic Ocean it is called as Amazonas.
8) The water present in the Amazon River shows diverse range of aquatic animals and it is the main habitat of Boto or river dolphins.
9) Piranhas, the notorious and carnivorous fishes are also present in the Amazon River basin which attacks any living being including humans.
10) The Amazon River is the biggest route for transportation as most of the cities are situated on the banks of Amazon.
Since few years, Amazon River has attracted the international attention because of the increased human activities in the Amazon River basin which has threatened the natural ecosystem of the basin. Increased deforestation especially in the south Amazon River has highly affected the biodiversity in the area. In order to make way for new constructions at the areas close to the Amazon River has badly affected the natural environment of the river basin and the living beings dependent on it. However various initiatives have been launched to protect the ecosystem across the river basin.