The term IoT is getting big and bigger with time. We all are well aware of this concept. However, we are using various applications of the Internet of Things in our day-to-day life. The concept of IoT is making things operate smartly. Thus, also making the society smarter. This technology is taking the world to another height. It also promotes a cheerful and convenient lifestyle for humans.
Short and Long Paragraphs on IoT (Internet of Things) in English
Here, I’m providing some short and long paragraphs on the new technology Internet of Things (IoT) in simple language. I hope this paragraph will be helpful for your better understanding.
Paragraph 1 - 100 Words (What is IoT?)
Internet of Things is the technology through which things can communicate and function properly without any human or computer interactions. Millions of devices can share data through the internet.
In IoT, objects are embedded with some kind of chips and sensors that help them in exchanging data with great ease using the internet. RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification) chips are an important part of IoT. They help computers in managing all the things. Earlier the exchange of information from one device to another was considered as M2M or machine-to-machine transfer technology. The concept of IoT is not different from this. It can be considered as its enhancement.
Paragraph 2 - 120 Words (History of Internet of Things)
The concept of connecting devices existed early in the 1980s. In 1982 the first smart device was invented at Carnegie Mellon University. Students in the university invented a coca cola vending machine which can report whether the loaded drinks are cold or not. In 1990, students of University of Cambridge connected toasters with the Internet.
In 1999, the term “Internet of Things” was first introduced by Kevin Ashton. In 2000, the first IoT refrigerator was designed by LG Electronics. In 2008, the first international conference on IoT took place in Switzerland.
According to Cisco Systems, the IoT was born between 2008 and 2009, when more objects started connecting with the internet. However, this concept gained its importance in the market by 2014.
Paragraph 3 - 150 Words (Components of Internet of Things)
IoT technology allows us to explore the use of the internet more widely. Earlier we could only use the internet only on our mobile phones and computers. But now different things are using the internet to promote their functionality.
There are three main components of IoT that regulate its proper working. They are Hardware, Software and the communicating Platform.
In the term “Internet of Things”, the “thing” is the hardware device. One of the important hardware is sensors. Sensors are the device which can sense the changes in the input. It will then send the appropriate output responding to that input. Various software are used to fetch real time information within the IoT network. This is responsible for making the system smart. Now there is a need of a platform through which the devices can communicate to each other. For short range connectivity Wi-Fi, RFID, Bluetooth can be used. For long distance connectivity NB-IOT, SIGFOX can be used in IoT.
Paragraph 4 - 200 Words (Applications of IoT)
Today IoT technology is providing vast applications in every field. Today, we have a large number of devices working on the concept of IoT. About 27 billion devices are connected with the Internet of Things. It is expected to increase over 100 billion by 2030.
- Smart Home: The smart home automation includes saving energy. Lights and fans can be switched off automatically when leaving home. Devices like Siri, Alexa would be very helpful for people with disabilities.
- Medical and Healthcare: It can be used for automated health monitoring systems that should notify in case of emergency. Many hospitals are ready to design smart beds for patients. The Fitbit bands, that can also measure the pulse rate, blood pressure, etc. is an IoT device.
- Transportation: In the field of transportation, the concept of IoT can be applied for smart traffic control, vehicle tracking, automated toll collection, smart parking, etc. will save the efficient time of the public.
- Agriculture: In order to increase productivity, farmers can adopt smart farming. These IoT devices will help to check the favorable weather for crops.
- Environment Monitoring: IoT applications would be helpful for proper environment monitoring, different hazards like tsunami, earthquake can be controlled by early detection.
Paragraph 5 - 250 Words (Advantages/ Disadvantages of IoT)
The IoT devices are designed not only to access real time information but also to learn from the activities. In order to achieve this, the IoT device makes use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine intelligence, thus making the devices more efficient. IoT provides many benefits in different areas. However, it can be seen as a new way for cybercriminals to attack the privacy of the people.
Some advantages and disadvantages of Internet of Things (IoT) are as follows:
Advantages of IoT
- Reduce Labor Cost: The introduction of IoT, will reduce manpower. Most of the work can be done by devices itself.
- Comfortable Life: Using the applications of IoT is making our life easier and comfortable. Imagine how our life will be when our refrigerator can identify itself as the grocery we are lacking or the air conditioner is kept on few minutes before we reach home.
- Saves Time and Money: Since devices are capable of communicating, it will save human time. However, in industries IoT can save money in productivity cost.
- Productivity: IoT can increase the productivity of any business by reducing time, labor charge, money, etc.
Disadvantages of IoT
- Security: Most of the data will be embedded in the devices. Therefore, increasing the danger of data hacking.
- Error Fixing: Since the devices are interconnected to each other, finding and fixing bugs can be a difficult challenge.
- Privacy: The Internet is more likely to be prone to different cyber-attacks. It will increase the privacy concern.
- Compatibility: Devices manufactured by different manufacturers may face the problem of compatibility. It is difficult to make devices that can share common standards.
Related Link :
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Internet of Things
Ans. Healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, retail, etc can be benefitted from IoT.
Ans. Smart watches, smart refrigerator, smart mobile phones, Alexa, Siri, etc are the examples of IoT.
Ans. Kevin Ashton is considered as the father of IoT.