We can define irregular verbs as “Irregular verbs are those verbs that do not add ‘-d’ or ‘-ed’ at the end like regular verbs”. The past simple and past participle forms of most of the irregular verbs become same such as fed, cut, put, had, hurt, bet, bid, shut, sold, let, etc.
Irregular verbs are generally known as strong verbs. Most commonly used irregular verbs in the English language are can, go, get, be, say, do, draw, see, think, buy, bear, drink, eat, make, take, become, come, know, etc. Both regular and irregular verbs have five forms that are infinitive, simple present, simple past, past participle, and present participle. Both vary in the formation of simple past and past participle.
List of Irregular Verbs
Following is the list of irregular verbs:
Arise, be, give, bring, lay, set, bear, lose, come, go, know, begin, buy, bite, creep, catch, choose, blow, break, swim, dive, do, drag, run, seek, see, lead, hide, draw, drive, lie, get, dream, light, drink, eat, fall, steal, tear, fight, strike, throw, swear, spring, fly, forget, forgive, freeze, grow, hang, prove, ride, ring, rise, shake, sing, sink, sit, speak, sting, swing, take, wake, wear, write, etc.
Types of Irregular Verb
Generally, there are three types of irregular verbs, such as:
- Irregular verbs that exist in same form in their all three forms, such as: cut, cost, bet, hit, put, shut, let, etc.
- Irregular verbs that have two of the three forms same, such as: (sit sat sat), (build built built), (burn burnt burnt), etc.
- Irregular verbs that are different in their all three forms, such as: (go went gone), (eat ate eaten), (do did done), etc.
Following are examples showing the use of irregular verbs in the sentences:
- I am going to get my brother from playground and then we will eat
- I want to build a home in the village for my dear mother so that she can easily spend her old age.
- I bet my friends to win the game.
- He went to the school but got
- I like to drink lemonade but only in the summer season.
Exercises for you
Irregular verb exercises given below will help you in analyzing your knowledge about irregular verb. Just go through all the details given above about the irregular verb and check your skill by doing following exercises for irregular verb. We have used irregular verbs in the following sentences; you need to check your skill by identifying irregular verbs in each sentence:
- He swam very well and won the competition also with first prize.
- I saw her face when she got surprise.
- I spend my weekend with my parents and grandparents at the religious places.
- He took four umbrellas from the seller.
- He bought only one ice-cream and ate alone.
- He went on a weeklong trip and will return next week.
- He left the school soon today without telling the reason to us.
- I will go to my home town in this summer vacation.
- They always throw a foul ball but played well today.
- I love wandering at tourists places but soon get fed up.
- All the water balloons burst when they gets loaded with water.
- He is very naughty as he stuck chewing gum in my hair.
Answers: 1 – swam, won, 2 – saw, got, 3 – spend, 4 – took, 5 – bought, ate, 6 – went, 7 – left, 8 – go, 9 – throw, 10 – get, 11 – burst, gets, 12 – stuck