Concrete noun can be defined as “A concrete noun is the name of an object which may be perceived by one or more of the five senses.”
Concrete noun is a noun which we can feel through our five senses such as smell, sight, hearing, touch and taste. Objects and substances which we cannot feel (see, hear, taste, touch, or smell) through our sense organs are not concrete nouns.
Majority of nouns become concrete nouns as we can feel them (such as all animals and people) through our sense organs. Concrete nouns can be of any type such as common nouns, countable nouns, proper nouns, uncountable nouns, collective nouns, etc.
They can also be in singular or plural forms. Examples of concrete nouns are like flower, music, bear, pie, tornado, ranch, colony, milk, Niagara Falls, team, lotion, stars, water, student, fire fighter, pencil, computer, incense, table, tree, fox, bang, cloud, panther, sunset, cinnamon, rain, cookies, car, etc.
Countable concrete nouns can be both singular and plural form such as:
- Countable concrete nouns (singular form): a brick, a hen, a horse, a book, a goat, a dog, a home, a friend, a room, a bread, etc.
- Countable concrete nouns (plural form): two bricks, three books, two goats, two dogs, three friends, four horses, three rooms, two breads, etc.
There is no plural form of uncountable concrete nouns as they cannot be separated into individual elements to count such as:
- Uncountable concrete nouns: air, milk, rice, pulse, sugar, salt, wood, water, electricity, flour, etc.
Use of It in the Sentence
Here are some sentences having variety of concrete nouns with proper meaning. Please go through the following, it will help you to understand how to use and identify concrete nouns in the sentences:
- Yellow flowers in the red vase are looking very attractive.
- Suddenly a black panther appeared when we were in the zoo.
- My kitchen gives smell of cinnamon especially in evening.
- I enjoy the sunset at the bank of Ganga river in Varanasi.
- It was a heavy rain when we went Lucknow last year.
- My mom knows well to make delicious cookies.
Here we have listed concrete nouns under various categories such as people, place, animals, objects, etc.
- People: scientist, dentist, doctor, firefighter, teacher, man, businessman, Rita, etc.
- Animals: bear, deer, fish, dog, cat, gorilla, cow, buffalo, puppy, lion tiger, etc.
- Places: Delhi, island, Varanasi, Lucknow, school, park, market, mountain, Turkey, etc.
- Objects: biscuit, cake, pencil, fruit, lock, keys, eraser, coffee cup, mobile, pizza, table, chair, etc.
Exercises for You
We have provided below some exercises of concrete noun in order to help you to enhance your skill and knowledge about concrete noun. You need to go through the above information about concrete noun and check your skill by using following exercises.
1) My mom gives me an apple daily with lunch.
2) Me and my sister saw baboons and black panther at the zoo.
3) My car is very big in which my whole family members can sit.
4) Sometimes peacocks come into my yard especially in the rainy season.
5) I always eat a hard boiled egg in my breakfast.
6) My father has made a big garden in front of the house.
7) I saw the highway was blocked because of an accident in the early morning.
8) My grandfather is a famous writer who wrote this journal.
9) I have pain in my right knee for three days.
10) We went to temple every morning before breakfast.
11) He came to take my note as he was absent today in class.
12) Columbus was a citizen of the Republic of Genoa who sailed the ocean blue.
13) Some people do work at very less payment.
14) I always eat salad having many fruits.
15) Brave soldier always protect their country by standing right on the borders.
16) I have won number of trophies for football match.
17) My friend has found my missing pen.
18) We enjoy every weekend with our family members.
19) My uncle has both, cow and buffalo for getting fresh milk.
20) We really had good time in the zoo as we saw black panther.
21) My mom always gives us seasonal fruits in the morning.
22) I have three books and all are mine.
23) My grandmother has two goats who give enough milk.
24) I have many friends but only one of them is good.
25) There are three rooms in my house.
26) I ate two breads and tea in the breakfast.
27) I like to see sunrise in the morning, even I have clicked some pics.
28) We can see stars only in the moonlight.
29) My class teacher teaches me English.
30) My parents has taught me all the etiquette.
Answers: 1 – apple, 2 – baboons, black panther, 3 – car, 4 – peacocks, 5 – egg, 6 – garden, 7 – highway, 8 – journal, 9 – knee, 10 – temple, 11 – note, 12 – ocean, 13 – people, 14 – fruits, 15 – soldier, 16 – trophies, 17 – friend, 18 – weekend, 19 – cow, buffalo, milk, 20 – black panther, 21 – fruits, 22 – three books, 23 – two goats, 24 – many friends, 25 – three rooms, 26 – two breads, tea, 27 – sunrise, 28 – stars, 29 – class teacher, 30 – parents