Present Continuous or Present Progressive Tense: Definition and Examples
Present Continuous Tense describes the events those are occurring now - at the moment when the words are being spoken. Present Continuous is also called Present Progressive because it is in progress at this moment. To better understand the Present Continuous or Present Progressive Tense carefully read the following sentences -
- I am drinking milk.
- Rony is dancing.
- The bus is moving.
- Birds are singing.
- Mohit is writing a letter.
- I am riding a bike.
Formula/Rules in Present Continuous Tense
In all the above sentences the speaker is talking about events that are occurring at the moment when the words are being spoken. The main structure of the Present Continuous Tense is very easy to determine from the sentences above. That is- (Subject + Auxiliary verb + ‘ing’ form of verb). The subjects in the mentioned examples are- I, Rony, Bus, Birds etc while am, is, are – being the auxiliary verbs. It is to be noted that the Simple Present form of verb drink, dance, move, sing, write, and ride are replaced by their ‘ing’ form in Present Continuous Tense.
Like the Simple Present Tense, Present Continuous Tense can also be classified into three different types of sentences i.e. - positive, negative and interrogative sentences. We will understand their structure with help of suitable examples.
a) Positive Sentences
The structure of Positive Present Continuous sentences is- (subject + auxiliary verb + ‘ing’ form of main verb)
Rules for Positive Sentences in Present Continuous Tense:
If the subject is- it, he, she or a singular noun then the auxiliary verb used is ‘is’. If the subject is- they, we, I, you or a plural noun then the auxiliary verbs used are- are and am. To better understand read the below given sentences written in Positive Present Continuous form -
- It is falling.
- He is sleeping.
- She is singing.
- The dog is barking.
- We are going to the terrace.
- I am thinking about him.
- You are troubling me!
- Children are playing.
b) Negative Sentences
The structure and formation of a Negative Present Continuous Tense remains same as the Positive sentences with the only difference that ‘not’ is added in between the auxiliary verb and the ‘ing’ form of the main verb. Structure- (Subject + Aux verb + not + ‘ing’ form of verb)
Rules For Negative Sentences In Present Continuous Form:
In case the subject is- it, he, she or a singular noun then ‘is’ should be the auxiliary verb used and if the subject is – they, we, I, you or a plural noun then ‘are’ and ‘am’ should be used as auxiliary verbs. Below given are some examples of Negative Present Continuous sentences-
- He is not cooperating.
- She is not writing.
- It is not moving.
- The scissor is not working.
- They are not listening.
- We are not going.
- I am not doing it.
- You are not behaving properly.
- Children are not playing in the park.
c) Negative - Interrogative Sentences in Present Continuous Form
Negative sentences in Present Continuous form can be converted into interrogative sentences by following simple rules- Adding ‘Why’ at the beginning of the sentence and interchanging the position of ‘subject’ and ‘auxiliary verb’. For Example we will convert the above negative sentences into negative – interrogative form as given below-
- Why is he not cooperating?
- Why is she not writing?
- Why is it not moving?
- Why the scissor is not working?
- Why are they not listening?
- Why are we not going?
- Why am I not doing it?
- Why are you not behaving properly?
- Why the children are not playing in the park?
d) Interrogative Sentences
The structure of Present Continuous Interrogative sentences is- (Aux verb + subject + not + ‘ing’ form of the main verb)
Rules For Interrogative Sentences In Present Continuous Form:
In case the subject is- it, he, she or a singular noun then auxiliary verb is- ‘is’ and in case the subject is – they, we, I, you or a plural noun then the aux verbs are- ‘are’, ‘am’. Given below are some examples of Present Continuous Interrogative Sentences.
- Is it working now?
- Is he studying?
- Is she singing?
- Is the bus moving?
- Are they coming?
- Are we having dinner?
- Am I going with you?
- Are you missing him?
- Are the children playing cricket?
Please note that in some cases a conjunction like ‘the’ may be used whenever necessary like in the sentences- Is the bus moving? , are the children not playing cricket? etc.
e) Interrogative-Negative Sentences in Present Continuous Form
Interrogative sentences in Present Continuous form can be converted into Interrogative-Negative sentences in present continuous form by adding ‘not’ before the ‘ing’ form of the verb. For example we will convert the above sentences into Interrogative-Negative form in Present continuous as below-
- Is it not playing now?
- Is he not studying?
- Is she not singing?
- Is the bus not moving?
- Are they not coming?
- Are we not having dinner?
- Am I not going with you?
- Are you not missing him?
- Are the children not playing cricket?
Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Present Continuous Tense with Answers
Fill in the blanks exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Present Continuous Tense with Answers:
Complete the sentences by the given hint using proper form of Present Continuous verb form or appropriate auxiliary verbs and verify your progress with the answers provided in the end.
1) I ________ writing a letter. (is)
2) He is _________ on phone. (talk)
3) She is __________ for the exams. (study)
4) The dog is __________ loudly. (bark)
5) It is __________ faster than expected. (move)
6) We are __________ a chorus. (sing)
7) Raju is __________ very fast. (write)
8) They ________ going for the party. (is)
9) We are __________ the match on TV. (watch)
10) I am ________ to the gym. (go)
11) You are ________ as ordered! (do)
12) Sally is __________ in the marathon. (run)
13) Molly is ________ to her office. (walk)
14) Children are _________ in the field. (play)
15) The bus is ___________. (move)
16) The driver is __________ horn. (blow)
17) Cat is _________ milk. (drink)
18) Cats ________ drinking water. (is)
19) Children are _________ to the teacher. (listen)
20) He is ___________ clothes. (wash)
Answers- 1)am, 2)talking, 3)studying, 4)barking, 5)moving, 6)singing, 7)writing, 8)are, 9)watching, 10)going, 11)doing, 12)running, 13)walking, 14)playing, 15)moving, 16)blowing, 17)drinking, 18)are, 19)listening, 20)washing
MCQs/Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Present Continuous Tense with Answers:
Choose the proper verb forms or auxiliary verbs from the choices given to make a proper Present Continuous sentence. Verify your answers with those provided in the end.
1) I am ________ dinner.
- a) eat
- b) ate
- c) eating
2) He _____ climbing the stairs.
- a) is
- b) are
- c) they
3) Children are ________ in the class.
- a) shout
- b) shouting
- c) shouted
4) It is ________ a metallic sound.
- a) made
- b) make
- c) making
5) Teacher is________ in the class.
- a) teach
- b) teaching
- c) taught
6) She is ___________ to the grocery store.
- a) going
- b) gone
- c) went
7) My parents are __________ dinner together.
- a) cook
- b) cooked
- c) cooking
8) The children are ________ for toys.
- a) cry
- b) cried
- c) crying
9) Rony and Sally are ________ in the class.
- a) sitting
- b) sat
- c) seated
10) We are _________ on our natural resources.
- a) survived
- b) surviving
- c) survive
11) Our teacher is _________ a lecture on moral ethics.
- a) gave
- b) give
- c) giving
12) His father is __________ him for the upcoming speech contest.
- a) preparing
- b) prepare
- c) prepared
13) The moon is _________ bright tonight.
- a) glow
- b) glowed
- c) glowing
14) Children _________ shouting loudly.
- a) is
- b) are
- c) were
15) The wind _________ blowing fast.
- a) was
- b) were
- c) is
16) The sound is __________ my studies.
- a) disturbing
- b) disturb
- c) disturbed
17) Many kites are _________ in the sky.
- a) fly
- b) flew
- c) flying
18) The principal is ___________ a surprise check.
- a) conduct
- b) conducting
- c) conducted
19) The ship is _________ on the sea.
- a) sailing
- b) sail
- c) sailed
20) The children __________ eating at the moment.
- a) were
- b) will
- c) are
Answers- 1)c, 2)a, 3)b, 4)c, 5)b, 6)a, 7)c, 8)c, 9)a, 10)b, 11)c, 12)a, 13)c, 14)b, 15)c, 16)a, 17)c, 18)b, 19)a, 20)c
True or False Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Present Continuous Tense with Answers:
Determine whether the following sentences represent the correct form of Present continuous Tense or not, also verify your answers with those provided at the end of the exercise-
1) I am listening.
2) You is walking.
3) She is sing.
4) The dog is barked.
5) The child is crying.
6) They are study together.
7) Ram and Rony are playing volley ball.
8) Children are studying quietly.
9) The family is have dinner.
10) The teacher is looked for you.
11) Our team is playing better.
12) They are looked towards the sky.
13) Bunty is riding a bicycle.
14) No one is going by bus.
15) She is request him for the leave.
16) He is waiting for the Chief Guest.
17) She is cooked for her children.
18) He is laughing on the act.
19) He is a well deserve candidate.
20) She is watching her favorite movie.
Answers- 1)True, 2)False, 3)False, 4)False, 5)True, 6)False, 7)True, 8)True, 9)False, 10)False, 11)True. 12)False, 13)True, 14)True, 15)False, 16)True, 17)False, 18)True, 19)False, 20)True
Crosscheck with the correct sentences given below:
2) You are walking.
3) She is singing.
4) The dog is barking.
6) They are studying together.
9) The family is having dinner.
10) The teacher is looking for you.
12) They are looking towards the sky.
15) She is requesting him for the leave.
17) She is cooking for her children.
19) He is a well deserving candidate.
Mixed Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Present Continuous Sentences
Fill In the blanks exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Present Continuous Sentences:
Complete the given sentences with appropriate form of verb or auxiliary verb so as to represent the sentence in Present Continuous or Present Progressive form -
1) I am _____________ for New York tomorrow. (leave)
2) She is _____________ in the tournament. (play)
3) My dad is __________ to the office. (go)
4) My brother is ____________ an exam. (write)
5) She is not __________ to the college. (go)
6) He is not __________ properly. (listen)
7) Is the machine not ___________? (work)
8) Is your mother not __________? (cook)
9) Are they not __________? (come)
10) Why are they ___________? (leave)
Answers- 1)leaving, 2)playing, 3)going, 4)writing, 5)going, 6)listening, 7)working, 8)cooking, 9)coming, 10)leaving
MCQs Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Present Continuous Sentences:
Choose the appropriate verb form for the sentences from the choices given. Also verify your answer from the answers provided at the end-
1) I am ________ breakfast.
- a) eating
- b) ate
- c) eaten
2) She is _________ for shopping.
- a) gone
- b) going
- c) went
3) The children are ____________ quietly.
- a) listening
- b) listen
- c) listened
4) He is ________ writing.
- a) why
- b) good
- c) not
5) The children are _______ playing today.
- a) not
- b) none
- c) never
6) The table is not __________.
- a) moved
- b) moving
- c) move
7) _______ they coming for the reception?
- a) why
- b) is
- c) are
8) ________ he going to eat the dinner?
- a) are
- b) is
- c) when
9) Is she ________ going to the picnic?
- a) not
- b) is
- c) yes
10) Why is he _______ leaving?
- a) does
- b) not
- c) do
Answers- 1)a, 2)b, 3)a, 4)c, 5)a, 6)b, 7)c, 8)b, 9)a, 10)b
True or False Exercises/Worksheet/Activities on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Present Continuous Tense:
Determine whether the following sentences are true or false and also verify your progress with the answers provided in the end.
1) The ministers is going for the meeting.
2) He was taking rest.
3) The dog is barking.
4) He is not talk.
5) She is not cooking.
6) They is not dancing.
7) Is they going to the store?
8) Is he working there?
9) She is not sitting.
10) They are not gone to London today.
Answers- 1)False, 2) False, 3) True, 4) False, 5) True, 6) False, 7) False, 8) True, 9) True, 10) False
Crosscheck with the correct sentences of the false ones given below:
1) The ministers are going for the meeting.
2) He is taking rest.
4) He is not talking.
6) ‘They are not dancing’ or ‘He is not dancing’.
7) ‘Are they going to the store’ or ‘Is he going to the store’.
10) They are not going to London today.