Dowry is a simple word with five latter but consist a huge curse for the bride and her family who are forced to give demanded dowry to the bridegroom’s side at the time of daughter’s wedding. Sometime, this evil becomes the cause for a big loss in the form of suicide commitment by brides or her family members. It is the high time for us to aware people about this completely non-acceptable major crime in India that is “Dowry System”. Thus, we are here offering essays on this important issue of Dowry System in different words count. Two categories are defined for essays, one is long essay on dowry system and other is short essay on dowry system.
Short Essay on Dowry System
In this category, three essays are offered with 100, 200, 300 words count in which a brief description about Dowry System is given:
Dowry System Essay 1 (100 words)
Dowry, the worst evil in our country is still becoming the reason of many unwanted issues that is happening on daily basis in our country which includes physical injuries of brides, social abuse, social harassments, bride burning and the worst one is suicide by brides or her parents. Dowry is not that when parents offers something, either expensive or not, to the groom’s side on the occasion of her daughter’s wedding by their own wish, but when they are forced to give expensive things to the groom’s side then it is called Dowry. In our country India, various government and non-government organizations are working since many years for ending this evil but still could not get success. This social crime is still thriving in India at different places in hidden.
Dowry System Essay 2 (200 words)
Dowry is a kind of begging which a greedy people from groom side demands to the people from bride side on the cost of their son. The difference is only that people are in well dress and demands for hard cash, property, movable things, furniture, gold and many more. Though, in our country India everyone knows that demanding or giving dowry is a crime according to dowry prohibition act of 1961 but most of the people are still doing or being the part of this crime in hidden. The system or practice of dowry in India has taken a serious form and it causes some other major crimes in country, female feticide is one of them. Due to this evil of Dowry System, many girls or women have either burnt or committed suicide.
Various Non-Governmental organizations are working for preventing this cruel crime of dowry system and have succeeded a little bit but still could not be able to completely remove it from our country. Thus, we all should be united and take this issue as serious as any other issue in our life whether we have a girl child or not. Dowry system is a common problem for all in our country that is much hazardous for a girl.
Dowry System Essay 3 (300 words)
The practice of forcefully taking money or some other expensive things by groom’s side from bride’s side at the time of wedding is called dowry. This unwanted ritual has been following since the pre historical time and now has become a curse for the people who are not financially able to fulfil the demand of groom’s side. Generally a huge portion of population is much aware about this worst crime and its side effects but cannot remain away from becoming the part of it while they are well educated and financially strong.
Many organizations either government or non-government has been continuously putting all their efforts for ending or destroying this evil from our country since many years and in result, ratio of this crime in India is falling but still could not be able to throw it from root. Basic idea behind this ritual was to make comfortable the newly wedded couple with all essential things that may be required for starting up their new life. Some people has made this oldest practice of developing a new relation between two individual families, called marriage, a kind of business, which completely favour the groom’s family as they are offered various expensive things from the bride’s family.
In India, criteria has been set for this cruel evil of Dowry System “richer the family, higher the dowry demand” means people from financially well established family ask more money according to their status or according to their son’s qualification. For bride side sometimes dowry depends on the physical beauty of bride; if bride is not physically beautiful her parents have to pay more money in dowry.
Long Essay on Dowry System
In this category, two essays are given with 400 and 600 words count. Matters in these essays consists detailed description about Dowry System and its hazardous effects on our country with solution too. Students of higher classes can use it according to their requirement:
Dowry System Essay 4 (400 words)
In this 21st century, when it is proved that girls are equal to boys and can do all things whatever boys can, then why Dowry System only favours to boys family and is a big curse for bride side. In Dowry System, according to ritual only boy’s family have right to demand cash, furniture, vehicle, expensive appliances, gold and utensils from bride side in the form of Dowry. And this illogical ritual is followed since many centuries before. Sometimes, it become a huge burden for bride’s parents and forced them to sale their property or other expensive things for fulfilling the demand by groom side, just because they are parents of a girl child.
Causes of this system:
- Uneducated people who think that they are superior as they have a boy child.
- Orthodox mentality of old people.
- It has become a status symbol for some people to demand huge dowry from bride side.
- Lack of women education and empowerment.
Effects of Dowry System:
- Results of Dowry system is very hazardous for all of us when we demand for money from other as dowry, then a day someone will also ask for dowry from us too.
- Mostly, a girl has to pay for this shameful tradition, they are injured, burnt and some time forced to commit suicide when her parents are not able to pay invalid expensive demands by her in laws.
- Parents of bride are forced to take some harsh decision (like sale their property or taking loan, etc) for arranging the money or other things, which they have asked as dowry.
- It gives rise to “Female Foeticide” where people kill their girl child before birth to avoid the burden of dowry at the time for her marriage and other social issues related to the girls.
What could be the solution?
If there is a problem then there is a solution too, no problem comes without solution and this Dowry system is not an exception. Here are some points as solution:
- Women education is must for making them aware about this critical issue and make them able so that they can take decision against this dowry system.
- Women empowerment is also necessary for all girls, so that they can be self independent and able to take own responsibility.
- It’s time to change orthodox mentality of old people in manner to teach them about huge negative impacts of Dowry system on our society.
- Advertisements, campaigns or “Nukkad Natak” are the multiple ways of spreading awareness among people about the shameful tradition of “Dowry System”.
- Laws should be strict against the guilty who caught while taking or demanding dowry.
“Jab Jago Tabhi Sabera”; though we have passed so many centuries with this tradition of “Dowry System” including its harmful effects on us and our future generations, but it’s never too late, now it is right time to come together for fighting against this one of the major crimes in India which still has its root in all places of our country.
Dowry System Essay 5 (600 words)
One of the worst social crimes thriving in our country is “DOWRY SYSTEM”. It is badly influencing most of the parents who have given birth to a girl child. And this crime has also become the reason of another cruel crime of “Female Feticide”. The system of dowry takes place where groom’s family are greedy and want to do a business deal with bride’s family and demands cash, vehicle, clothes, gold, furniture, appliances, utensils or other things on the cost of their son and they name it as “wedding ceremony”. They have forgotten the pure and sacred feelings of wedding and just have made it as a business deal.
Act against Dowry System:
According to the records in India, most of the incidents occur where bride is either burnt or committed suicide due to this cruel evil of dowry system. Various actions have been taken for ending this crucial problem in our country by the government and non-government organizations. By government of India, an act has been declared to prohibit the give and take dowry directly or indirectly, enacted in year of 1961. According to it, dowry “any expensive property or valuable security” taken by one party from another party, either their parents or relatives, at the time of wedding or before and after the time of wedding, it comes under the dowry prohibition act of 1961.
Penalty for demanding dowry:
Penalty for the party, whether they demand dowry directly or indirectly, is imprisonment of 6 to 24 months with the fine of not less than 10000 Rs.
Penalty for giving or taking dowry:
Penalty for both parties, if they give or take dowry, whether at the time of marriage or before and after the marriage is imprisonment of minimum 5 years with fine of 15000 Rs.
Results of Dowry System:
It is quite obvious that result of Dowry system has been always very bad for all and further it will be more dangerous.
- Till now various girls child are killed before birth as their parents don’t want to have burden of a girl child, because at the time of their daughter’s wedding they have to give dowry to the groom side.
- Bride’s parents are forced to sale their house, agriculture fields or other expensive properties to get rid of the debt which they had taken at the time of their daughter’s wedding to fulfil the demands of groom side.
- Accidental incidents like suicide or burning happens with the bride when her parents could not be able to fulfil the unlimited demands by her husband’s parents or relatives.
Solutions to this problem:
Solutions for this unacceptable problem are:
- Firstly the law against this crime should be strict and rigid with no concession.
- Women education and empowerment is must for preventing this crime.
- Awareness by advertisements and campaigns should be spread all over country to tell people about the hazardous effects of this crime.
- Women should take stand against this illogical demand by groom side.
One of the worst crimes that is arising its head in most of the communities during wedding is “dowry system”, that is completely non acceptable for all. One side we say that boys and girls are equal in all matter and girls are not less than boys; on the other side we make such a huge difference between them at the time of their marriage when boy’s parents have right to demand dowry from bride side and bride side is forced to fulfill their demand at any cost. If we want our country to be a successful and developed country, then dowry system should be completely ended.